Bf 110 C-4 performance (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kwiatek

Recruit
Dec 21, 2008
I need very detalied information about Bf 110 C-4, C-4B performance and data expecially type of engine ( Db 601 A-1 or 601 A-a), weight, maximum speed from sea level to service celing , climb rates etc. If anybody could help i will be thankfull. Im really searching reliable information like oryginal documents scans or from book or monographs.

Hi Kwiatek,

>I need very detalied information about Bf 110 C-4, C-4B performance and data expecially type of engine ( Db 601 A-1 or 601 A-a), weight, maximum speed from sea level to service celing , climb rates etc.

Here is an older analysis for getting you started.

Initially, the Bf 110C was equipped with the DB601A-1 (4.0 km), as evident from the type datasheet (which in the case of the Bf 110C apparently can be traced back to a certain W.-Nr.).

The RAE tested a captured example that had the DB601A-1 (4.5 km) variant. Interestingly, they got contradictory results from the two flight tests they made, and I think one set of results can only be the result of a major error.

Figures like "550 km/h @ 7 km" that are often published in books go back to this RAE test, and they just don't match what we know about the characteristics of the engine. (The second flight is a really good match to what we'd expect, though.)

For comparison, I have also included the DB601N speed graph in the same diagram, showing a noticable performance increase for a Me 110 with such an engine.

However, according to Mankau/Pertrick, during the Battle of Britain the first few aircraft were converted to the DB601N when the Luftwaffe decided that the new engines should go to the single-engined fighters first, and it looks like few Me 110 flew with the DB601N during that period.

Mankau/Petrick also suggest that the designation C-4/B was only very briefly used, with the bomb-carrying variant re-designated C-7 very quickly. I don't know if the C-7 necessarily had the DB601N engines as it is often claimed for the C-4/B.

(According to Olivier, the DB601Aa engines primarily went to the Me 109, so the Me 110 wouldn't have used it, though I admit that I don't know what his sources are.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• Me110SpeedAnalysis.gif
    Me110SpeedAnalysis.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 317

Users who are viewing this thread

Back