Captured Fw 190D-9's in Soviet Use...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I never really payed much attention to this before, even though I had heard and seen it before, but I got curious and looked into it...

Guess what.

I cant find squat concerning the Doras in service with the Baltic Fleet Air Forces...
49144.jpg
Thx Wayne

Attachments

• fw190d_2.jpg
    fw190d_2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Russian Dora lineup_a.jpg
    Russian Dora lineup_a.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,045
  • Russian Dora Lineup_b.jpg
    Russian Dora Lineup_b.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,753
  • Russian Dora Lineup_c.jpg
    Russian Dora Lineup_c.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,132
  • Fw190D-9 Russian Marking 210251_7462.JPG
    Fw190D-9 Russian Marking 210251_7462.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 773
  • Fw190D-9 Russian markings_7453.JPG
    Fw190D-9 Russian markings_7453.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 918
Quote from Erich:
I know of at least 2-3 line up photos of "Russian" Doras captured at wars end, they were never brought up and used against the LW as that is plain bogus.

Also in either volume 1 or 2 of JaPo's huge Dora books they should be covered and may be as well in the EE's volume 1 or 2. the first volume I have found will be on my doorstep on the morrow. I will do a personal write up of that in a different new thread. EE's effort will be more on the a/c and pilots/bio's than the tech which is in JaPo's work(s)

and it is interesting to note via Waynes post that on axishistory forum that there is a multipage thread on the Yak 9 and I have been in conversation with one chap from Slovenia who claims the Yak 9 still was above the Dora in all capabilities..........NOT according to LW pilots which always dove down on all Soviet types and blew them away as the Soviet types could not climb, or power up on the flat nor the turn to get away. the Yak as I pointed out to him as well as Mig's were continually flying at mid altitude something the Dora was not suited for. As we can see by Waynes posted article the same application through after war testing is quite true
Last edited by Erich : 10-17-2007 at 09:11 AM.

I thought I saw that scan before! :lol:

Makes sense what Erich posted...Russians did fly mid-level, not optimum for the Dora.

What rating was the La-7 using in the test?

If the VVS used the Maximum continuous rating of the Jumo213A then we can expect a large gap in performance over Sonder-Notleistung.

The difference at sea level is ~850PS.

I wonder if they actually used them, or just tested them ?

It makes sense that they would just test them. In order to operate an aircraft you need a steady supply of parts as well as type specific trained maintenance crews.

The normal engine reserve for 1 operational aircraft is three spare motors in the inventory.

Why would the soviets invest all the time, money, and effort that is required to operate a foreign fighter design? It does not make sense logistically or economically. It gives them no advantage militarily either. The Dora could have flown circles around every VVS fighter in the inventory but one squadron is not going to affect the outcome of any future conflict. It is a considerable amount of effort for no real advantage.

The VVS designs were competitive and they have no great need for a Squadron of Dora's. Now I can see them testing them for the engine technology.

This probably goes in the same bin as the "don't engage yaks without oil coolers" myth. Some author read a document or interviewed a witness and then proceeded to misinterpret the information given.

All the best,

Crumpp

well I go back to IV./JG 3 that put it's Sturm tactics away while on the Ost front in 1945, the LW pilots thought the Dora 9 was the cats-meow meaning it could womp on ANY Soviet a/c in existance without any problem, the Dora guys always had the upper hand with the altitude advantage and could dive and jump on them any time.

Oskar Romm shot down 8 Soviets in this fashion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back