DO-335 VS TA-152

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sep 12, 2006
Hello,

I always wandered which of this planes was the best ?
Which plane was the luftwaffe realy need for defending Germany ?

best regards jan

The Ta-152H wins hands down as a fighter, but as a bomber destroyer the DO-335 would've been perfect.

it's the ta 152H period in both respects, the Do if it could have even flown 1 operational mission would of been hen pecked by P-51's in the air and all the way home and shot up like a seeve - too late and a worthless piece of big oversized crap

it's the ta 152H period in both respects, the Do if it could have even flown 1 operational mission would of been hen pecked by P-51's in the air and all the way home and shot up like a seeve - too late and a worthless piece of big oversized crap

Wrong! The -335 was a good 50 mph faster than a -51D; it could've picked it's fight, and dictated when where to engage. If the situation got too hot, hit the MW-50 and get outta there. No, it wasn't very manueverable but, like the Me-262, the smart pilot would use it's speed to his advantage, choose when where to attack, then get away fast. Good luck, Mustang!

bullshit ! no service record so nothing can even be accomplished without real action reports, it would of met it's fate like all LW a/c in 45 ---- dog meat.

I have enough crap written in document form on the nf version of the Do which will be in my book

You are correct, the Pfeil did not have a "service record", as no units ever reached operational status before the end of the War.

However, on at least one well-documented occasion, a Do-335 was able to "walk away" from a flight of P-51's, without the Mustangs even managing to get in a shot, due to the -335's superior speed. As I said, the smart LW pilot would've used the Pfeil's advantages to his benefit, not gotten tangled up in a furball with a bunch of more manueverable Mustangs.

And the main reason the LW was "dog meat" in '45 was superior Allied numbers, not necessarily superior tactics or superior hardware; anybody who is outnumbered 10-to-1 is probably going to lose, I don't care how good you are. In '40, the French were "dog meat" to the LW due to the LW's superior numbers; you do the math.

you mention walking away from Mustangs as this was attributed to Kurt Tank flying a Ta 152C not a Do 335. well we should care about dog meat as it is the truth, my cousin found out when he was shot down and killed by Mustangs in November of 44.

the future was in the jet the LW pilots knew it as it was reality. No-one can change the facts. Jg 300 was to be fully equipped but never saw the day, Jg 301 would of been outfitted as well as other units with the 262 and other comparable jets

you mention walking away from Mustangs as this was attributed to Kurt Tank flying a Ta 152C not a Do 335. well we should care about dog meat as it is the truth, my cousin found out when he was shot down and killed by Mustangs in November of 44.

Got me! You are absolutely correct as to the above-mentioned incident; however, I apparently got my aircraft mixed-up, as it was Tempests, not Mustangs, that were involved. See below:

"In his book The Big Show, French ace Pierre Clostermann claims the first Allied combat encounter with a Pfeil in April 1945. Leading a flight of four Hawker Tempests from No. 3 Squadron RAF over northern Germany, he intercepted by chance a lone Do 335 flying at maximum speed at treetop level. Detecting the British aircraft, the German pilot reversed course to evade. In spite of the Tempest's considerable speed, the RAF fighters were not able to catch up or even get into firing position."

Quoted from Wikipedia, entry for the Dornier Do 335, Dornier Do 335 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the Dornier, while a novel idea, would've been thrown away eventually. The Ta, along with the 262, would've been the main fighters and the Ar 234 would've taken the Jabo role. There would've been no need for a contraption like the Pfeil. IMHO.

I think the Do 335 would have been ideal for armed reconnaissance. Too bad it didn't reach operational status. It is a cool looking plane.

Perhaps his fellow pilots don't like him because he doesn't always speak to friendly about the Spitfire.

Perhaps his fellow pilots don't like him because he doesn't always speak to friendly about the Spitfire.

I suppose if u try really hard, u can disparage the spitfire in nominal ways...

but what were his prime complaints?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back