The Dornier is lifted at last

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

good deal....glad they got her up in as good of shape. hmmmm wonder if it was shot down after it completed its bombing run or before? could be some very unstable ordnance hanging inside...

Sorry, but that isn't a "restoration" project. That is a "build a new one" project. Seriously, that Do-17 is in terrible shape....what's left of it.

On a different note, two of the crew perished. With all of the admin hurdles the MoD imposes over war graves, how was this overcome?

Great to see her out of the water, and in better condition than I expected. Yes, she looks rough, and yes, she is fragile, but it's amazing what can be done to such a wreck in the way of clean-up and preservation.
The intention is to clean and restore her at the RAF Museum's restoration facility at Cosford, and eventually display her at the main RAF Museum at Hendon, north London. The restoration will be as thorough as possible, but not to 'as new' condition, rather more in the way of the Halifax retrieved from Lake Hocklingen.
And yes, she was shot down, by Defiants of 264 sqn, after the raid, and after dropping her load. Two crew members survived the ditching, with the bodies of the other two crew members being washed ashore a couple of days later. Full details can be found at the RAF Museum web-site.
Below is a photo of the entrance to the 'poly tunnels', outside the restoration facility at RAF Cosford (DCAE Cosford, as it's now known), taken on Sunday.

Attachments

• Air show Cosford 2013 file 2 065.jpg
    Air show Cosford 2013 file 2 065.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 203
Ahhh, such a great thing to see a previously non existent type (above water) brought back to life. I've heard that it will be conserved as opposed to restored, much like the Halifax at Hendon and placed next to the Hurricane wreck that forms the centrepiece of the Battle of Britain Roll of Honour in the Battle of Britain Hall (I hope they don't go ahead with that godawful beacon idea!).

Yes Grant, that's the intention. And I too hope that bl**dy monstrosity of a 'beacon' doesn't happen! The idea of hanging real BoB aircraft in a glass tower is terrible!
The sooner the RAF Museum (Hendon) goes back to traditional display formats, instead of the awful 'art student inspired', dimly lit, arty-farty 'creative' displays currently in vogue, the better! The Cosford displays are much better - well lit, accessible, and roomy.

Well actually, for an aircraft having been in salt water for so long, she looks remarkably well. We have many worse cases here in the Netherlands. Good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back