Early RAF nightfighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Folks, is there a reliable source about early RAF NF force prior the arrival of Mosquito night fighters? Blenheim, Defiant, Hurricane, Boston/Havoc are my points of interest. Also, info about Fulmar NF would be appreciated.

I third the motion regarding Rawnsley's "Night Fighter" memior.

Other excellent references are:

The History of Air Intercept Radar and the British Night Fighter 1935-1959" by Ian White

"Night Fighters: Development and Combat History" by Bill Gunston

"Nightfighter" by Ken Delve

Some excellent memior-type books on the subject:

"Pursuit Through Darkened Skies" by Michael Allen

"Fighter Nights: 456 Squadron RAAF" by John Bennett

"Night Intruder" by Jeremy Howard-Williams

Might find this interesting

Turbinlite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some Havocs were fitted with this small but very powerful search light. It was their job to illuminate the target, other aircraft would then shoot the enemy aircraft down.

Many years ago (late 70's) I was getting some "dope" (not the modern meaning although you could get high on this as well). for my RC aircraft. I went to an old chemical store that was clearly left over from the war, think you could call it a small research establishment. After getting the dope I chatted to the owner for a while and showed my keen interest in aircraft and WW2. "You might be intersted in this" he said and took me to a store room and took down from a shelf a slightly damage glass lens of about 40 to 50cm in diameter. "This is a lens from a Turbinite" he said, "You can have it if you want!"

It weighed a ton and as it was extremely sharp around the edge especially where it was damaged, I polite said no thanks.

Wish I had said yes now

The book I listed "Pursuit Through Darkened Skies" has a section on the Turbinlite saga. This particular crew - the book was written by the RO - got off to a less than spectacular start in their first posting and were banished to a Turbinlite flight.

Very interesting reading.

Brick

what's your thoughts about this title ?

The History of Air Intercept Radar and the British Night Fighter 1935-1959" by Ian White

besides text is it covering the mounts in the RAF/BC night fighters via photos, etc ?

thank you

Erich ~

Erich,

I enjoyed the book. It's a little dense as to writing style, but that's a minor quibble and a matter of taste.

There are not a lot of photos, but there are a fair number of map illustrations showing the development in coverage of the Chain Home (CH) system, the squadrons, and their stations. These are all updated as the war progresses.

There are illustrations of the various scope displays and how to interpret them, as well as some diagrams of the placement of the various aerials involved in AI.

I think it's worth the price.

boy this does sound like something I need for the files as I compare notes with the LW attempts at radar development towards AI

thank you for your thoughts Brick as they are appreciated.....

E `

The book I listed "Pursuit Through Darkened Skies" has a section on the Turbinlite saga. This particular crew - the book was written by the RO - got off to a less than spectacular start in their first posting and were banished to a Turbinlite flight.

Very interesting reading.

An excellent read. I can't recall the title, but I was reading recently a book about NF conflict above both British and German airspace from the earlier stages. It discusses and has stories of combat and victories from the earlier NF's the Hurricane, Defiant and Blenheim and a brief mention of the turbinlite. From the sources I have gathered the consensus is the Beaufighter was the first real effective NF the RAF had.

From the sources I have gathered the consensus is the Beaufighter was the first real effective NF the RAF had.

I'd agree with that assessment.

First effective one for the USAAF as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back