Effect of operational Fw187s during the Battle of Britain (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think we have discovered yet another German sacred cow. Caught me somewhat by surprise this one

Well,it's only a theoretical sacred cow,if such a thing is possible :)

If the Luftwaffe had been in possession of several hundred of these theoretical sacred cows they could theoretically have won the BOB at the very least,theoretically the war and then probably,theoretically been first to the moon which actually does exist!

In the meantime we can all argue pointlessly about what the handful of aircraft actually built could or couldn't have done. None of us knows what a single seat,DB 601 powered service aircraft could have done and I for one don't pretend that I do.It would be just as productive to debate a jet powered version :)

Ohhh the fun we have!

Steve

Regarding the Fw 187's radiators, I read that they were retractable for high speed in the first prototype, which would not have been practicable in a production machine, also that during trials with the Fw 187 V6 and its surface evaporation cooling the aircraft experienced skin buckling and distortion, presumably due to the light weight materials used in making the matricies. It was this machine that achieved 634 Km/h. That would never do in a production aeroplane and its easy to see that without the chunky radiators under its propellers it could achieve high speed, but as soon as you re-instate them, no way its gonna reach that speed.

In the quoteable words of The Castle's Darryl Kerrigan; "Tell 'im 'ee's dreamin'!"

theoretically been first to the moon which actually does exist!

Ahh, but has anyone actually been there and how do we know if they have that it wasn't the Germans?

In the meantime we can all argue pointlessly about what the handful of aircraft actually built could or couldn't have done. None of us knows what a single seat,DB 601 powered service aircraft could have done and I for one don't pretend that I do.It would be just as productive to debate a jet powered version :)

Ohhh the fun we have!

Steve

Well, we can try to dispel a few of the more way out rumors :)

There is a drawing of the single seater in the book with dimensions. IF the Dimensions are accurate the FW 187 single seater was 11.124 meters long. The V 4 and A-0 versions are listed as as being 11.2 meters long. Now we could argue if that dimension is from the tail to the fuselage nose or to the tips of the prop spinners. In any case it looks like the fuselage stretch was a wopping 76 mm at best, that is mm and not cm. Certainly worth a few hundred Kg, right :)

Drag is totally up in the air as it depends on the radiators, but weight of the single seater DB 601 engines is going to close the Jumo 210 powered two seater. Unless you loose part of the armament. 400-500lbs increase for each DB601 engine, 800-1000lb increase total. Minus 220lbs for the rear seat guy+about 100lbs for the rear MG and ammo (if fitted) plus the rear sear and furnishings ????? + the difference in weight between the long range radio and the short range radio. Slice and dice any way you want but it doesn't come up to the weight of the DB engines.

Edit: compromise radiators probably would have looked much like the radiators used on the Bf 110. Drawings in the book of a proposed DB 605 powered Version show under wing radiators out board of the engine nacelles.

Last edited:
Without the Germans noone would have got there in 1969

Careful, you are verging on being accurate about German involvement in something...

I read once that metal from the German ships lying at the bottom of Scapa Flow was used to build parts of the lunar modues because of the purity of the metal - that'll be it then.

When I try to load page nine of this thread I get a malware warning from my Chrome browser.
Danger: Malware Ahead!
Google Chrome has blocked access to this page on www.ww2aircraft.net.
Content from ahmadalikarim.files.wordpress.com, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.
A source search found two places where that website is on the page; the first somewhere in the page headers and the second inside the comment from buffnut453. Can anyone fix this?

The only thing I have against the Fw-187 sacred cow is that it takes two engines I need for my He100 sacred cow

Attachments

• GermanHe100D2.jpg
    GermanHe100D2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 78
Yet another fine art by Logan Hartke. Cool stuff, as always.

Neither had He 100 had the versatility, the firepower, the range nor more speed with normal cooling then the FW 187. (FW 187 also with normal cooling)

The single seater version is totaly counterproductive for the LW, only the two seater version makes sense, as replacement for the Me 110 at 1939.

For the rest I have written enough about the FW 187!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back