F8F vs. P-63

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Two late comers into the piston-engined fighters' arena. Both were fighting in Indochina in the French AF; not as fighters, but as ground pounders. What one should be regarded as a better combat aircraft, while putting aside the carrier compatibility of the F8F?
The contemporaries would be the P-63C and F8F-1, and, maybe, P-63E and F8F-2. The P-63A was in service in ww2, unlike the F8F.

As much as I like the P-63 / 39 line of aircraft, I think the Grumman F8f out-classes the Bell by a wide margin. I cannot think of any scenario in which the Grumman would not be a better fighter. The Supercobra is what was needed in 1943, still without range. The F8F was icing on the cake in the Pacific.

Well, I can only give the opinion of most French pilots who flew in the Indochina War : their favourite fighter-bomber was actually... the Hellcat. :D

They liked the F8F, but they favoured the F6F because of its range.

Well, I can only give the opinion of most French pilots who flew in the Indochina War : their favourite fighter-bomber was actually... the Hellcat. :D

They liked the F8F, but they favoured the F6F because of its range.

Did the French fly the F4U?

Did the French fly the F4U?

Yep. The French Navy used AU-1s (in small numbers) and F4U-7s in Indochina (a version purpose-built for the French Navy). The F4U-7s were also used in Algeria.
Unfortunately, the AU-1s were worn-out from their service in the Korean War, and were given back to the US as soon as possible. The F4U-7s were brand new, but they were fitted with an R2800 version that was no longer produced (R2800-18W)... which induced reliability problems. Add to this the well-known difficulty of flying Corsairs at low speed in the carrier-landing approach, and that's why most French pilots who flew both still favoured the F6F. The Corsair was not hated either though, far from it.

Unfortunately, the AU-1s were worn-out from their service in the Korean War, and were given back to the US as soon as possible.

The F4U-7s were brand new, but they were fitted with an R2800 version that was no longer produced (R2800-18W)... which induced reliability problems.

Add to this the well-known difficulty of flying Corsairs at low speed in the carrier-landing approach, and that's why most French pilots who flew both still favoured the F6F. The Corsair was not hated either though, far from it.

Interesting - thanks!

As much as I like the P-63 / 39 line of aircraft, I think the Grumman F8f out-classes the Bell by a wide margin. I cannot think of any scenario in which the Grumman would not be a better fighter. The Supercobra is what was needed in 1943, still without range. The F8F was icing on the cake in the Pacific.

The P-63 should have less trouble with a 'bomber-type' target, until F8F-2 is available, due to P-63's 37mm cannon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back