Family History, RAF, RAAF, Bomber Command 467 Squadron!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vengeance

Airman
Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi guys,
Wondering if someone can help. I'm currently researching my family history and have found that my Great Uncle Ernie flew Lancasters with 467 Squadron in the later stages of WW2 and for a while after the war (mainly returning POW's to England). I have located the squadrons Official Historical records through the National Archives of Australia, these documents are an interesting read and I have found his name throughout, however there is no mention of the actual plane, serial number or otherwise in which he flew! He was a pilot and was eventually promoted to Warrant Officer. I'm wondering if someone out there could suggest to me where I could find which plane he flew in?
Any help is appreciated,
P.S, Aside from the information for the family history documentation, Im also keen to build a model and customise it to show the correct markings for Ernies machine for my mantlepiece!

Cheers,
Vengeance.

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by the documents not having aircraft serial numbers. The document at the National Archives (available for online viewing) entitled "Unit history of number 467 Squadron - December 1942 to October 1945", records serial numbers - I'm looking at page 152 for 4/5 January 1945 and the serial numbers are there for each aircraft.

There may be a published squadron history for 467 which has the squadron letters - I know of two books each which have squadron letters for the Mosquitos of 464 and 456 Squadrons.

It's also worth googling the individual serial numbers to see what you come up with. For example, the page in the squadron history at which I'm looking refers to Lancaster NF910. Googling "Lancaster NF910" comes up with this link:

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/74-A-12-Avro-Lancaster-R5868.pdf

It just happens that NF910 is mentioned for 467 Squadron, being PO-S at one point, PO-Q later. (Despite our modern understanding of POS as meaning not much good, the aircraft which spent the most time as POS was R5868, and the damn thing flew 137 sorties, now permanently on display in Hendon.)

So anyway, do have another look at the NAA, especially the digital file I named, then google the serials. Also have a go at the Trove Australia website for books and articles:

Search results for ' 467 squadron' - Trove

Last edited:
Your relative would have flown several different aircraft. The best way to establish the aircraft serial numbers is from his log book if it has survived. In the 'Aircraft' column the sub-headings 'Type' and 'Number' should be filled in. Despite being an 'official document' and the 'property of his majesty's government' and awful lot of pilots did make off with theirs :) I found my father's in an old metal chest whilst clearing my mother's house following her death a few years ago. Maybe a family project, rummaging in attics and sheds is called for?
After that, establishing the individual aircraft letter, I can only second the suggestions above.
Good luck, I hope that you can find something definitive somehow.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the reply guys,
However, Uncle Ernie arrived at 467 Squadron on the 4/6/45 only a few days before peace in Europe was declared. His Official Airforce Military record shows he flew a total of 71 hours in a Lancaster whilst at 467 however so I'm guessing these were after the war. This would mean he was probably involved in the returning of POW's to England and other duties. These flights are not documented in the detail that Bombing missions were, the Official history records how many flights were made on any given day but not which planes flew or who the crews were. Is there anyone who knows of a more detailed record of the flights made after the war bringing POW's home etc. I don't have his log books to go through at this stage although I'm attempting to locate them.
Any help appreciated, Cheers
Vengeance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back