Fi-156 Storch - Made In Serbia (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
At the salaš in Čenej light airplanes are being hand made

This article was published under the title "Storks of Craftsman Nestor" in "Blic" newspapers on Saturday, 28th August 2008
(Note: Don't know exact translation for phrase "salaš" but it could be considered as some sort of farm.)

At the salaš in Čenej, small village near Novi Sad (Serbia), Nestor Slepčev manually manufactures light planes which he sells around the world. In small workshop, which is situated next to the horse farm, Nestor makes Fieseler Fi-156 Storch, airplane which became famous when it was used for the escape of Italian fashist leader Benito Mussolini from prison on 3000m high mountain.
Nestor's love for airplanes started in his childhood when he lived in Vrbas and was making model planes. After that he settled in Australia, where in 1975 he started the business of producing planes and his first customer was Kirby Chambliss, famous Air Race champion. However nostalgia for his native Serbia, brings him back to Vojvodina, more preciselly to Čenej, where he bought salaš and where he builds light planes for five years already.
- I think that everyone has his own dream which he wishes to come true and I guess mine was to make planes and to fly. When I'm in the air I feel free and enjoy the magic of the "Stork" - says Nestor Slepčev (age 55).
The airplane "Stork" is specific for it can take off from runway of just 20m long, it weights only 300kg and it can fly at very low speed and turn very quickly.
- "Stork" was used by the Germans for reconaissance during WW2. Now people mostly buy this aircraft for joy flights and nature sight seeing. However, several planes I've delivered to United States, where ranchers use it for overseeing their cattle herds. - Nestor explains, who is machinist by profession but he finished course for aviation modeler.
Airplanes which he sells in Europe Nestor personally flies to the new owner, because he thinks this is the best way of checkup before delivery. On request of customer the arrangement of seats can be different, same as colors in which the plane is painted depending of its intended role. At salaš in Čenej Nestor also builds an airplane specifically for parachutists, which can climb to the altitude of 4000m in 6 minutes.
- Airplane is designed for parachutists, for they are known as being impatient before the jump. Most of my planes I have sold to Italy where businessmen used them to relax themselves after hard day at work. One of famous customers was former Elvis Presley manager, but my first customer was my good friend Kirby Chambliss - Nestor points towards his friend who day after race in Budapest came by to visit his friend. He speaks very complementarily about this plane.
- I fly in very fast planes, almost perfect, made in most famous world factories, but when I got my plane from Nestor I couldn't believe. Feeling when flying this plane is uncomparable, truly perfect - says Kirby Chambliss.
As any good craftsman, Nestor has his best student who learns his trade. This is young man Nikola Tepčević, who works in workshop in Čenej from the first day.
- My job are preliminary works, most basic like making steel frame construction. The job is not very hard, but has to be very precise without smallest mistake. Of course we all do according to blueprints and calculations so there is no room for mistakes. So far we had build 15 planes here in Čenej so I think we had alot of practice - says Nikola (age 24).
For producing one plane Nestor and his assistants need around three monts. Every plane goes through the hands of at least 10 craftsman and manufacturing proces, although manually, goes as on assembly line. One craftsman is in charged for construction, another for painting, etc... Price of "Stork" goes from 20.000-40.000$, depending of configuration customer requests.

On the photo in the attachment far bellow: Nestor Slepčev (left) with Kirby Chambliss.

Attachments

• roda-1.jpg
    roda-1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 540
  • roda-2.jpg
    roda-2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
I saw something on U-Boob not long ago, that showed someone flying a Storch at an airshow, in Denver, I believe.
I remember one vid showed the plane slowing down to about 25mph, and as the camera panned to keep up with the airplane, a road sign showing a speed limit of 15mph entered the pic.
A lot of comments that people gave for the vid aluded to the fact that the pilot should've been ticketed for exceeding the posted speed limit. :lol:

I don't think that was a WWII-vintage aircraft, but a repop.

Not that vid but here's some footage of the Pazmany PL-9, a 3/4 scale repop of a Feisler Storch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XBqvh3lM4

Elvis

I'm amazed at all the planes that you never hear about on both sides. As unglamorous as the storch was, it served faithfully. I must confess, though, I like the historical paint job better than the fancy one.

Great stuff Igor! I wonder which engines he's using, but I wouldn't mind having one. Good price too! Could be a new job for you there Igor, building full-sized models!

cool video Elvis.

Wheels
Thanks! :thumbright:
Here's another, this time of the original -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDcB0pSUYOI
(I have that one on my computer at home)
Notice how much the gear flexes on landing. Man, when I first saw that, I thought the whole plane was gonna bust apart! :shock:
It appears the Pazmany uses a 6-cylinder Lycoming for power, too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proton45 said:
I want one (dreaming...):rolleyes:
I'd want an L-4, with the wing modified with the slats and giant flaps of the Storch.
Imagine how that little puppy would fly then! 8)

...I wonder if Amercian Legend would interested in offering such a modified wing? :idea:

Elvis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back