Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fieseler F 156 Storch - ultralight replica

Post Thanks / Like

Fieseler F 156 Storch - ultralight replica

I don't know if this thread should stay here or in the 'off topic', eventually some admin can move it.
    Anyway, I think it might be interesting and is in a certain way about WW2 planes

There is this Aussie guy, Nestor Slepcev, who managed to build a 3/4 replica of the Storch and sell the kit.

I can testify that it is not a joke, a group of friends of mine actually assembled and fly it (yes, I was flying ultralights aircraft, unfortunately for several reasons I decided to sell my kite in 2004!), and t is a gorgeus plane.
    The plane really stalls at 35 Kmh (22 Mph)! There was a demo video where Slepcev was flying low with full flaps and a guy was running ahead of him on the strip: the guy actually outpaced the Storch!

It took them almost 2 years and about $ 40.000, but it was worth.

Some years ago Slepcev was working on a ultralight replica of the Me 109G, I saw pictures and a video but now seems to be disappeared from the net, and the 109 is not mentioned in his site.

Here some links about the Slepcev Storch

http://www.storch.com.au/
    http://www.ulm.it/fly_in/test/slepcev/default_en.htm
    http://www.ultralightflyer.com/storch/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -slepcev_storch_19-3806_104.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool!

> I Support Doug Gilliss <

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo Da Vinci

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that is cool!

IP/Mech THE GREAT GAZOO FLYBOYJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We brought this up on another thread - it stalls at 22 mph!

World Travelling Doctor? Gnomey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is cool

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

"To him the People of the World Largely owe the Freedom and Liberties they Enjoy Today"
    Enscription on Hugh Dowding's (AOC Fighter Command 1936-40) statue in London

My Photo Collections on Flickr

Senior Member the lancaster kicks ass's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's real cool, and hell in a bit of a headwind it'd hover on the spot!

"Reminds me of the time I sank the Tirpitz" comments a Spitfire pilot, "One pass of course, old boy."

Post Thanks / Like
    Strong headwind and it would be the first ever fixed wing plane to fly backwards!

When you realise that the light at the end of the tunnel is actually an oncoming train, you know it's time to run for your life

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, MM, I have actually seen that happen. Strong headwind and low speed, the airplane was literally in reverse. It was weird, but it was cool.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo Da Vinci

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful!

Kiwimac

IP/Mech THE GREAT GAZOO FLYBOYJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've done this in my -150. I could turn into a moderate head wind, go full flaps and just about hover. Mind you I'm on the verge of stalling, but it can be done.

In this homebuilt Storch it seems this could be done almost on a daily basis!

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw it done with a real Storch at Camarillo. It was cool! I still have to think that would be a little unnerving.

Senior Member the lancaster kicks ass's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    must be hard to controll as well.........

"Reminds me of the time I sank the Tirpitz" comments a Spitfire pilot, "One pass of course, old boy."

Post Thanks / Like
    Not from what I could tell. The wind speed gave the plane all the lift it needed. It didn't look like the pilot was having a tough time with it at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, a little personal experience.
    It never happened to fly backwards, but with my kite (a Canadian designed Beaver Rx 550 with Rotax 582) it happened to fly very very slow. In cold whater and only pilot on board the thing stalled at 36 mph, and with a strong headwind it was possible to fly as fast as a walking man.
    The only advice was not to stay too low, because if the wind would cease then you are in stall.
    Luckily the Beaver was a good 'family father' and his stall was just pointing the nose down with a very light buffeting...
    "God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche, 1882
    "Nietzsche too" - God, Aug 25, 1900

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife. - Douglas Adams

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point. When I saw the Fiesler to the backward flight, he was right over the runway. If he had stalled, he would have had enough altitude to level it off and land.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast