I have always wondered why the Fw-190 series and Me-109F and later models had machineguns at all. Why not these weapon configurations?
Me-109F and G. 3 x Mg151/20 cannon.
1 firing through the prop shaft.
1 in each wing root.
Fw-190 series. 4 x Mg151/20 cannon.
1 in each wing root.
1 in each outer wing position.
Plenty of firepower. All weapons are the same so no need to worry about different aim points. Cowl space is not taken up by a pair of machineguns and ammunition, perhaps allowing the nose to be more streamlined. Would anybody miss the machineguns?
You raise some interesting points about WWII German fighter armaments. With regards to the Bf 109, the space in the wing was very limited and probably would not have accomodated the MG 151 internally, even in the wing roots. Even the Bf 109E-series had difficulty accomodating wing-mounted MG FF 20mm cannon; IIRC, cutouts in the wings were necessary to fit the internal MG FF cannon and the limited space forced the use of drums instead of belt-feeds for the cannon ammunition, and even then only one small 60-round drum could be fitted for each cannon. By comparison, the engine-mounted 20mm cannon in the BF 109F/G-series carried belted 120-150 rounds and the Fw 190A/D-series carried 250 belted rounds per gun for their wing-rooted MG 151 cannon. The "gunboat" Bf 109F/G/K-series had their wing-mounted MG 151 cannon fitted in underwing gondolas rather than internally, again due to lack of space. I also recall a protoype Bf 109 that was fitted with a 20mm cannon in a central under-fuselage gondola. I speculate that if space were available in the wings, including the roots, Messerschmitt would have readily placed additional guns there instead of the external performance-sapping gondolas. I don't know if this was ever considered, but I am curious if placing MG 131 machine guns internally in the wings would have been worthwhile, given that the MG FF cannon could be shoehorned in the wings. In this situation, though, I suspect the ammunition capacity for the wing MG 131 would have been severely limited.
You may know that Adolf Galland lamented the decrease of guns when the Bf 109E-series phased out for the Bf 109F-series and ordered 1 or 2 Bf 109F's to be fitted with internal wing 20mm cannon for his use. Again, because of the wing space limits, the internal wing cannon was limited to the MG FF and not MG 151.
Obviously, the limitations of armament configurations in the Bf 109 made its cowl machine guns essential. I do not know the factors that were considered that led to the Fw 190A/D-series carrying cowl-mounted machine guns. I speculate that for the A-series, the inherently large cross-section of its radial engine provided considerable space that allowed 7.9mm and eventually 13mm guns to be installed, along with a large amount of ammunition and, since the radial engine mounting could not be streamlined further anyway and, Kurt Tank probably determined the firepower increase outweighed the weight of two cowl-mounted machine guns and their ammunition. Since the Fw 190D-9 deleted the outboard cannon, the cowl guns also became a greater proportion of the firepower. Interestingly though, in the later Fw 190D-series and the Ta 152H, the cowl guns were deleted, which appeared to coincide with the installation of engine-mounted 20mm/30mm cannon and seems to support your armament philosophy.
The Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik and its successor the IL-10 both carried cowl-mounted 7.62mm machine guns in addition to wing-mounted 23mm cannon. As ground-attack aircraft, the 7.62mm guns did not comprise a significant proportion of firepower, but the guns were used primarily as tracers to better aim the 23mm cannon. I also recall reading in some sources that the Fw 190's cowl machine guns were used in the same way to aim the cannon fire more accurately against the heavy bomber formations (and presumably targets in general in air-to-air combat).
I'm speculating considerably--any other opinions and thoughts?