Focke Wulf Fw190D-9 victories (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would speculate that you have to go to Dr Prien's squadron histories to get a notion of FW 190D claims for all theatres. Otherwise Caldwell's latest book Luftwaffe in Defense of Reich is a good source for both units and claims/losses by type in the West is a good starting point.

In the west, there weren't that many as nearly all LW units were pulled back after Bodenplatte to reinforce the defense of Berlin in the East and JG 26 was struggling due to so many new inexperienced pilots..

you will not find an accurate 100 % score remember that after October 1944 the OKL did not recognize nor process LW kill claims so nothing can be taken with certainty. JG 301 we are unsure but there were probably aces against Soviet fighters in 45 as well as IV. ex-sturm unit JG 3 flew Doras in stab and one staffel and were victorious against Soviet forces. These are just two examples you also have JG 51 thrown in the mix flying Dora-9's too.

Hi,

I provided the information about FW 190 D-9 victory claims on the LEMB. Here is the list of those I've found thus far (haven't had time to investigate as thoroughly as I'd like though):

21 - Heinz Marquardt (J.G. 51)
18 - Hans Dortenmann (III./J.G. 54 J.G. 26)
13 - Anton Hackl (J.G. 26 J.G. 11)
12 - Werner Schroer (Stab J.G. 3)
10 - Guenther Josten (IV./J.G. 51)
10 - Hans Prager (III./J.G. 54)
5 - Peter Crump (III./J.G. 54 and IV./J.G. 26)
5 - Günther Rey (IV./J.G. 26)

My sources were: Schroer, Logbook; Crump, Logbook; Rey, Logbook; Axel Urbanke's book on the Fw190D-9 with Jagdgeschwader 54; Caldwell's Jagdgeschwader 26 book; David Williams, Day Fighters; Josten, Gefechtsbericht

J.G. 2 and J.G. 6 are not as well documented in 1945 and flew the FW 190 D-9 for most of January-May 1945, so there would have been some FW 190 D-9 aces from those units too.

As for George Kettler's question about the most kills between November 1944 and May 1945, Gerhard Thyben got 41 in the Courland Pocket, Gerhard Barkhorn got 27, Erich Hartmann 45, Helmut Lipfert 50, Helmut Mischke of III./S.G. 1 got 34, Günther Josten got 38, and Peter Düttmann 31.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Hi,
As for George Kettler's question about the most kills between November 1944 and May 1945, Gerhard Thyben got 41 in the Courland Pocket, Gerhard Barkhorn got 27, Erich Hartmann 45, Helmut Lipfert 50, Helmut Mischke of III./S.G. 1 got 34, Günther Josten got 38, and Peter Düttmann 31.

Cheers,
Andrew A

wow! Thank you very much!

There was also the Platzschutzstaffel that protected the Me262s of Jv44 with D-9s and D-11s...with covering the takeoff and landings of the 262s as well as flying CAP over the field's airspace, they had to account for victories.

There was also the Platzschutzstaffel that protected the Me262s of Jv44 with D-9s and D-11s...with covering the takeoff and landings of the 262s as well as flying CAP over the field's airspace, they had to account for victories.

Bet they didn't get many.. down low and probably slow relative to inbound 51s and Tempests and behind climbing 262s. A tactical nightmare scenario for the airfield cover units. Having said that I know of two 355th FG Mustang losses when caught under low cloud cover from above on April 4 near Salzwedel. That was the first air combat loss of the 355th going back as far as August 16, 1944.

There were only five aircraft in the unit and their orders (from Galland) severely limited their ability to engage allied fighters. These orders included strict tactical instructions:

1 Take off before the Me 262s, normally in a Rotte formation (sometimes two Rotten might operate as a Schwarm).
2 Climb to 500m altitude and protect the Me 262s while taking off and forming up
3 Under no circumstances break off and chase enemy fighters. The one and only job is to protect the turbos.
4 Never fly along with the Me 262s. Always maintain a 500m altitude umbrella.

There were also orders relating to how and when the Doras would be permitted to land (on the instruction of a ground controller)

The only probable victory scored by the unit was by Klaus Faber who believed he shot down a P-47 whilst flying 'Red 13' on a mail courier flight to Bad Aibling. Faber also recalled only one occasion on which the Platzschutzstaffel engaged allied fighters when flying cover for the Me 262s but no claims were made.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Crimea River,

Barkhhorn DID fly the D-9 for a VERY short period, but scored victories in it. His last victory was scored on 5 Jan 1945 and he took cokmmand of an Fw 190D-9 unit on 16 Jan 1945. He didn't last long in that billet and left on a medical leave. He went from there directly to the Me 262 in which he scored zero victories.

So, as I meant to say, he scored all his victories in the Bf 109 ... though he DID technically fly both the Dora and the Me 262 in combat without scoring.

still don't by much of the claims for 45 as they cannot be proven let alone Doras in JV 44 claiming anything even the P-47 shot down almost by mistake. // records are lost guys they are not complete, especially for Ost JG's of which most Reich defense units were flyuing to protect Berlin and then even US forces on the same day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back