The What is it? Game (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17 man carrying pod. Used as a demo idea for a proposed atomic bomber. I believe this one is actually our own B-17 'Sally B'

Forgot to say, its mounted way out on the wing tip

Last edited:
Thought the wing pods on 44-85784 were for GE's radar testing in the early 1950's.

Neat side note on that: Richard Vogt of Blohm und Voss had gone to Wright Patterson AFB after the war and was involved in a good deal research there,so it's a very good chance that he helped in the wingpod design.

there's our winner

485784-5.jpg

A point about the P-51 - they're pulse jets (derived from V-1), not ramjets. The ramjet version had its Marquardt ramjets at the tips, not underslung.

Also, could I ask that pictures be included here as inline images (as in Norab's submissions above) not attached images (as Geedee). Some of the style sheets, especially the mobile-specific ones, won't display attached images.

...Also, could I ask that pictures be included here as inline images (as in Norab's submissions above) not attached images (as Geedee). Some of the style sheets, especially the mobile-specific ones, won't display attached images.
That's interesting, as my ipad and iphone don't have any trouble viewing images posted in any method (though some videos won't show)...

Perhaps Horse should know about that problem

A Frenchman may have seen one somewhere doing something or other, but I'm thinking its a Yak 23

And cancel that, the 23's nose leg retracts forward

Last edited:
Thanks for the clue mate. Maybe the forward section of the VG-90 then?

img307.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back