Heinkel He 115 B/C raised from bottom of fjord in Norway

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

2012 seems to be a good year, He 219 in Denmark, He 115 in Norway, P-40 in the desert and several Spits in Burma. Did I miss a discovery?

Man that thing looks to be in such great condition. Shouldn't it be soaking in a bath somewhere? Seems like everything they pull up from the ocean needs to be put in some kind of bath to stabilize it. Wasn't that the knock on the Manchester they pulled out of the Fjord? It just started deteriorating right after it hit the air? I hope they took that into account, I'm sure they did – they look quite professional, but still I always fear for fragile artifacts…

According to the translated text, she'll be completely stripped and all components bathed (for 2 years!) Jim.

FANTASTIC news there, thanks so much Maria for posting!

A lot was learned from the recovery of the Halifax (not Manchester, Jim) from Lake Hockliingen back in 1973. The Do17 about to be recovered from Goodwin Sands will be transported to Cosford in a saline solution, and housed in a special 'tent', where it will gradually change from saline to fresh water 'bathing', before work commences. All this has come from recoveries and restorations in Norway, with the info being shared as needed, work which Guttorm has been involved in, more recently with the Ju88A-1.

that is interesting. i cant figure out why steel would need to be bathed for that long. i do know when they unearth a wooden vessel it has to be carefully soaked in different solutions or it will crak and decay...but steel?

Not so much the small amounts of steel, mainly the large amounts of aluminium and other alloys. If this dries out quickly, paint decays and peels off rapidly, very rapidly, and the chemical reaction with the air results in rapid degradation of the alloys, hence the relatively slow process of stabilisation, from saline, to fresh water, to air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back