Help!! LEMB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My username for my latest application on LEMB is "Legatus". I fail to see why this is not sensible.?
Is this a catch 22 or something? One get the notion that one has to use his real name to get in.
Just wondering...

I'm inherently against people editing my writing and will NOT put up with it. I write what I write and will not intentionally insult anyone or be ugly. Shortround might disagree with me there ... but I will not tolerate edits of my writing. I do NOT live in a police state and won't.

If the owner wants to post differently, then by all means let him do it. NO issue with that.

But changing my writing will not be tolerated by me. I suppose I won't try to join even though the subject is personally interesting. No loss for me; possible loss for them since I am involved in a restoration of a 109 right now (actually an Ha.1112) and could get a lot of pics they might appreciate. From the firewall back, it is a stock Bf 109G except for the wing guns. Actually, we moved the hydraulic pump from the engine compartment to behind the pilot in the rear fuselage to get it away from heat. Less danger of fire, but not exactly stock.

You need to understand that Peter runs a very tight site with a good search capability. He doesn't edit content other than making aircraft designations consistent. If everyone typed designations in like they wanted, the search capability would be compromised. LEMB is an excellent sight for those who are members and no-one forcing anyone to join.

Yep, I agree, Crimea; it is very useful and very good and since he has the time, power to his elbow, but I'm sure he gets himself needlessly in knots over things.

That's why I like this site, you can say any old shite, and if someone objects, they'll let you know! :)

So, I'm good. Right?
Meatloaf109, get it; Me109.....
It is the name of my dead friend, (He was a Chihuahua, god, how I miss him.) but still.....I could have gone with "BarF 109" ?
Just askin'

Did you reach Peter via his Website? Would you be so kind to give him my request and what I shall do about this?

Afternoon all...

Having finally managed to log-in... most, if not all of the questions being asked here have been answered in subsequent posts above... but if anybody wants to make contact with me away from the forum so that I can reinforce their understanding, you can find my contact details via the LEMB Blog here...

Yep, I agree, Crimea; it is very useful and very good and since he has the time, power to his elbow, but I'm sure he gets himself needlessly in knots over things.

Thanks... and no knots here my friend :lol: just as it can be difficult to search for info in a book without an index, the same can be said about a forum where the in-built search facility has its limitation... hence the need for us to be pragmatic with our approach concerning abbreviations... nothing sinister, its simple as that really

LEMB is an excellent sight for those who are members and no-one forcing anyone to join.

Thanks for the kind words CR and amen to that brother... :thumbright:

Anyway... back to lurk mode 8)
Cheers
Pete

Last edited:
I agree Peter, good on you and keep it up. It is a constructive resource you have and glad to hear you are not getting yourself in knots!

Although my username was changed to my real name without my allowance I like LEMB because it is one of few forums which kept its credibility and you can rely on information because "what if" and all the other fantasy threads are not allowed.
cimmex

Although my username was changed to my real name without my allowance I like LEMB because it is one of few forums which kept its credibility and you can rely on information because "what if" and all the other fantasy threads are not allowed.
cimmex

Oh boy.
If one has such a problem with what-if threads, there are at least two things that can be attempted. Sendinga PM to the moderator(s), or/and start a topic about the perceived problem. This forum, like most of other forums, has plenty of knoiwledgable people whose posts are well worth reading, even when posted in a what-if threads. If one does not like what other members post, it is easy to put them on the 'ignore' list.
Of course, it is way more easier to criticize, than to contribute.

Oh boy.
If one has such a problem with what-if threads, there are at least two things that can be attempted. Sendinga PM to the moderator(s), or/and start a topic about the perceived problem. This forum, like most of other forums, has plenty of knoiwledgable people whose posts are well worth reading, even when posted in a what-if threads. If one does not like what other members post, it is easy to put them on the 'ignore' list.
Of course, it is way more easier to criticize, than to contribute.
Sorry Tomo, I'm not your boy…
Sure I hate "what ifs". Why? They make the content of a board so noncredible. Take any thread here and jump in to the second page or later. Can you recognize whether the information you find are facts or fantasy? I know many aviation fans at several boards, none of them will ever back up his statement with information from a board which is wildly mixed with fantasy posts. I agree that there is some entertainment and "what ifs" may generate traffic but IMO that's all.
cimmex

Didn't intend to insult you with 'oh boy' comment - sorry if you feel that way. It seemed more polite than the 1st one intended - rolleyes.
I can recognize facts and fantasies rather well. I think that most of us here can do that.

I know many aviation fans at several boards, none of them will ever back up his statement with information from a board which is wildly mixed with fantasy posts.

Not sure what to make out of this. In this forum, including this sub-forum, there is a wast knowledge base, that is a result of contribution of many forum members. Just take a look at 'Technical' sub-forum, there is nothing of that size and price at the 'net. My contribution is small, even though I try to post interesting links, pdfs, tables, schematics, maps etc. I even try to translate (accent is on the word 'try') the stuff that might be interesting to other people that lack knowledge of another language or charset.
Maybe you would be so kind to post interesting stuff, facsimiles of original documents (hopefully, shorter of them translated to English), dispel a myth or two, start some topic that would shed light at a some obscure matter, share links that are not that well known? That would be a far better contribution to this forum than dropping in now and then just to say 'I hate what-ifs'.

What-ifs are interesting from a fiction standpoint, but you can't make a case that is solid since it never happened. It makes a good alternate history novel. There are no demonstrably correct opinions.

If this is to be a history site, then let's KEEP it to history. If not, then maybe we could delineate the forums so the what-ifs are in a forum dedicated to what-ifs. That way, those of us completely uninterested in what-ifs could avoid them easily and the historical data would not be corrupted with fiction.

I suggest this site go that way. EVERYONE would benefit, but it's not my site and I have zero control over what-ifs. If this is insulting, I apologize, I am NOT trying to be so. About all we REALLY know about what-ifs is that if we had acted differently, the results might or might not have been the same. The rest is all personal conjecture and, at least as far as I think, seriously detracts from the reasons forums like this were and are created.

Someone asks for a suggestion on a specific question or subject. You GIVE one or more, and the nay-sayers chime in ... NOT with their opinions about how to implement the question or subject, but why your suggestion could never work and never would no matter what. They haven't contributed an idea, but are happy to sit back and shoot down your ideas. If you defend they raise their hackles and shoot you down harder with more fiction ... it's like an argument with a demented girlfriend, there's no win without pain, and you really weren't that angry to start with! It just sort of ... happened.

That deserves a separate forum and they can speculate until the cows come home, in complete peace and harmony among the fiction lovers. Nothing wrong with that, I hope.

I still don't know who owns this forum after asking maybe 10 years ago and several times since, but maybe whoever it is might think about a "What-If" or "Alternate Timeline" forum, and ask the what-ifs and fiction be confined to the sub-forum dedicated to that function. It might make the moderator's jobs a LOT easier as a side benefit, since the fiction folks could gather and have a good time in a dedicated forum that maybe wouldn't result in unpleasantness too often since the people posting there would be into that rather than real history.

Just a thought. Please disregard if this seems unnecessarily harsh to anyone. If so, apologies in advance, I am trying to make a suggestion without going into unwanted behavior ... hope it is taken that way whether or not it is implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back