How to make a real life size stuka siren

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SA80

Recruit
Jan 9, 2009
Could any one help me does anyone know the workings of the stuka siren i know it was propeller driven and went under the wing not much else thow.
How did it work? is it a simple design? does any one have blue prints? thanks very much for reading SA80

Wasn't the 'Jericho Horn' simply a variation on the air raid siren theme?
The air raid siren being hand-cranked and the variation in pitch provided by simply hand-cranking it faster?

Mounted on the Ju87, the manual drive was replaced by a suitable alternative, a small propeller driving the unit instead; the variation in pitch here being provided by the Ju87's increase in speed as its dive progressed.

I've an idea Doppler Effect would have been instrumental here, too, particularly if you were the position (or close to the position) being targetted.

Hi
home from work
This is about the best I could find in my library, it names the parts but rather unhelpfully, it doesn't point the names at anything although it's mainly self-explanatory.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Stuka siren.jpg
    Stuka siren.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 35,567
thats what those are i thought it was to power lights

There's a "brake" or more closely, a clutch, that keeps the siren mechanism from sounding until the drive brakes are released. As soon as the drive brakes are retracted, the Jerico Trumpet disengages.

As I posted in another thread regarding this, sometimes the brake didn't reset, and the pilot had to listen to the thing all the way back to base...

By the way, awesome detail image, Colin!

sometimes the brake didn't reset, and the pilot had to listen to the thing all the way back to base...

By the way, awesome detail image, Colin!

Well, at least they'd know he was coming and could put the kettle on for a nice, soothing cup of tea...

Stuka Ju87
Alex Vanags-Baginskis
Illustrations by Rikyu Watanabe
Jane's Publishing Company Limited
ISBN: 0 7106 0191 3

I have to say I agree with you, Mr Watanabe is a master illustrator, as he is in the rest of the series.

Sadly, as is the case with so many other aircraft book series (Ian Allen 'at war' series springs to mind), they're out of print; they do crop up here and there in online book communities and on eBay every now and again.

I'm going to say the slots on both sides of the prop. those would give it an old fire engine sound. i remember cranking one of those sirens ( more years ago than i wish to admit ) as a kid.

I would have thought that once the stuka goes into a dive, the siren props would spin so fast that the tips of the blades would break the sound barrier, thereby giving it that wailing siren sound.

I would have thought that once the stuka goes into a dive, the siren props would spin so fast that the tips of the blades would break the sound barrier, thereby giving it that wailing siren sound.
The Jerico Trumpet was wind driven, and the Stuka in a dive didn't reach speeds that would allow the Trumpet's propellor tips reach that velocity.

There's hollow cavities that interact with vanes driven by the prop, so that when the propellor spins, it creates a tone, much like a mechanical siren on an emergency vehicle or an Air Raid siren...

Hi
home from work
This is about the best I could find in my library, it names the parts but rather unhelpfully, it doesn't point the names at anything although it's mainly self-explanatory.

Hope this helps
Hi, would you mind reposting that file? I'm going to try and build a stuka siren

Last edited:
Have a look at (and/or correspond with)
Deutsche Luftwaffe Cockpitinstrumente Homepage Titelseite Instrumente Gerätebrett Baumuster

[email protected]

They have a lot of German WW2 component manuals (for radios and gun-sights anyway) so may be able to help

I saw recently they, or a member, are rebuilding a smashed up gun-sight so maybe have some sirens, whole or smashed
Thanks! Combed through it, but nothing about sirens...this is like searching for the holy grail!

Hello there. I don't know much about WW2 aircraft, but I believe I may be able to help you with the sirens. I am just dropping in here from google, and I hastily created an account so I could respond to this. Because of that, I haven't really gotten myself acquainted with the rules. Would anyone care to drop a link to them for me? Sorry if they are in plain sight, I am using a phone and it makes navigating the forum difficult. Thanks for putting up with me.

Anyways, I'll do my best to help in this thread. The Jericho trumpet was a mechanical siren from what I can see. Mechanical sirens work by spinning a cylinder with holes cut in the sides inside of a bigger cylinder with the same amount of holes. As the smaller cylinder (the rotor) spins, it sucks air into it through the front of the siren. The centripetal force pushes the air against the walls of the rotor, forcing it out through the holes. The bigger cylinder (the stator) stays still, which means the air cannot escape all the time. As the holes open, air is forced out until the holes close. This causes an incredibly loud pulsing of air.

Here is a .gif which shows a mechanical air raid siren in slow motion: https://www.thesirenboard.com/images/model2anim.gif

Here is a video of a guy who built an electro-mechanical air raid siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAfvOjdZpkg

He explains how they work pretty well. Anyways, just like an air raid siren, the stuka's siren works the same way. Over at airraidsirens.com it seems that we are pretty confused about how the whole thing works, but we know the source of energy is the wind-driven propeller. Basically a siren's sound is a mixture of its port ratio and the speed that it spins at. The port ratio is basically how many holes are in the rotor and the stator. Like in the video and the gif, one ring of ports produces one tone and the other ring produces another. Some sirens are single tone, and only have one ring of ports. The problem is, I have no idea how many ports the stuka's siren has. It sounds unlike any siren I've ever heard, so you may have to do tons of digging to get any information. The siren sounds pretty low pitch to me, so I'd imagine it has a low speed or low ports. I'd imagine there is a combination of both because I kind of doubt the small propeller would get the siren to any of the speeds you'd see from sirens today.

I've done some googling and I just can't find any good pictures of the siren. The closest image I have found is this one, (http://worldwarwings.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Stuka-Siren.jpg) which I am skeptical of because the siren appears to be where a bomb would have been, and it is not on the landing gear. That propeller also doesn't seem like it'd do that great of a job driving the siren. If someone could get me better pics of the siren, that'd be great. Thanks.

Anyways, from that picture it appears that that siren has 8 or 9 ports, and I have found a video of an 8 port siren. It sounds a tiny bit like the stuka's, it may need to be driven at a lower rpm to sound more like it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OSpJtH_aQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lHjJ0zOHk
This is a 9 port siren.
As you can tell the pitch is higher than the 8 port, but it still sounds similar.

Basically if anyone could provide me with a good picture of the stuka's siren we might be able to get some clues as to how this siren functions. To make a similar sounding siren you could do something similar to what the guy in the video did, possibly. You would probably need to experiment a lot to the get the right sound. I think it may be possible that the stuka's main propeller "chops up" the sound as it's diving, similar to speaking into a fan. It sounds choppy while diving and then it gets clearer as the plane recovers from the dive.

Anyways, that's just what I think regarding this topic. I'm sure the answer is somewhere but it just can't be found. Maybe you could contact a military history museum and ask what they know about it? That seems like the best course of action.

I hope this doesn't go against any bumping rules, as I see the last reply was posted last year. Since I had some relevant information I think I may be in the clear. Please inform me if I am not. Anyways, I hope some of my information helped you, and if anyone could point me in the direction of the forum rules I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I know I'm late to the chat, but I've got a picture of a real life Stuka siren that may help with our questions.
207FD5A7-D08E-4E2A-8D3C-9009DA14DD60.png
30AE76AB-1B65-40BF-95DF-7EC93C103340.png
Please note that these are NOT my pictures, the photography is from a video from the "Fight to Fly Photography" Youtube channel. There's a museum in Washington state that is doing a Stuka restoration. The museum is called "Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum". They have a Youtube channel as well; I suggest looking into it for more information on the Stuka's build. Anyway, as you can see from my images above, it appears that the propeller has open slots on the side of it, which I'm assuming played a key role in causing the siren sound. As the plane dove, wind would drive the propellers, and while this was happening, the siren system would sound inside of the propellers. The sirens were obviously driven by the wind powered propellers. What I don't know is what exactly happened inside of the propellers that caused the Jericho trumpets to sound. The previous post that mentioned the different ports of an air raid siren is a pretty possible scenario as to how the Stuka sirens worked. Anyway, I hoped this helped, and I hope someone replies, because this is an incredibly fascinating subject that shouldn't be abandoned.

Here is a picture of a Ju-87 wreck that has the Jericho trumpet fairings visible on it. The siren propellers are not present, but you can still see what they were mounted onto, at least. This picture actually shows the inside of the siren mount, but I'm not sure how much information can be discovered from the image. Just trying to give as much useful info as I can find.
2F5BAD64-D484-4B6A-A2C7-AC4537558977.png
I don't own this image. This image is from a photographer who posted it on www.english-for-flyaways.de. I hope that this sorta helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back