Incredible Mustang model. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
This might not be quite the right place to post this, but, rather than post it in the modelling forums, I thought perhaps more people can enjoy this beautiful model if shown here.
This is a large (I think around 1/8th scale), 'scratch-built', metal, P-51D, now on display in the main entrance foyer of the RAF Museum, Cosford, and photographed during my visit yesterday.
In the markings of Capt. Donald Emerson, of the 4th FG, 8th USAAF, Debden, UK, the model, or perhaps more correctly, 'engineering miniature', has been built by the same person who built a similar Spitfire replica, on show at the RAFM, Hendon.
The pictures speak for themselves, but just to clarify, those images which appear to be upside-down and laterally reversed, are shots of the underside taken in the mirror base of the display plinth, the size of which can be judged by the surroundings, and my mate Mick, behind the display case.

Attachments

• Must 1.jpg
    Must 1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Must 2.jpg
    Must 2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Must 3.jpg
    Must 3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Must 4.jpg
    Must 4.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Must 5.jpg
    Must 5.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Must 6.jpg
    Must 6.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Must 7.jpg
    Must 7.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Must 9.jpg
    Must 9.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Must 10.jpg
    Must 10.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Must 11.jpg
    Must 11.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Must 12.jpg
    Must 12.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Must 13.jpg
    Must 13.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 123
  • Must 14.jpg
    Must 14.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Must 15.jpg
    Must 15.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Must 16.jpg
    Must 16.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Must 17.jpg
    Must 17.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Must 18.jpg
    Must 18.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Must 19.jpg
    Must 19.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Must 20.jpg
    Must 20.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 126
  • Must 21.jpg
    Must 21.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Must 22.jpg
    Must 22.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 120
  • Must 23.jpg
    Must 23.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Must 24.jpg
    Must 24.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Must 25.jpg
    Must 25.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 127
  • Must 26.jpg
    Must 26.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 120
My pleasure. I could have stood there all day, just looking at the beautiful workmanship.

Terry - I've had some correspondence with the builder - both to congratulate him and also note that the Gun Camera Port on a -5NA was circular - not square. The square port change was made in the third block of the P-51D-10NA run.

He (can't recall but will dig into my email files) didn't rip me for being anal but was quite gracious for the info. It is the best I have ever seen.

Great stuff Bill. I've only ever seen photos of his Spitfire, as I haven't been to RAFM Hendon for quite some time. Seeing the Mustang blew me away !
Place it in the right, outdoor setting, and photograph or film it at a 'scale' angle, and it would pass for the real thing (camera port aside!).
The photos don't really do it justice, as the entire model ( a poor description, it's more of a miniaturised replica, beautifully engineered) has the look of the real thing, right down to flush rivets, stressed skin, the lot.
Is there any chance you can contact him and see if it's possible for him to post some pics of the internal construction, cockpit detail etc?
I'm assuming it's been constructed (as was his Spitfire) the same as the full-sized aircraft, with all the correct frames, longerons and stringers, spars and ribs, and must be a marvelous sight 'under the skin'.
I went back to look at it twice before we left the museum and, seeing it 'in the flesh' really makes an impression, even if just for its sheer size, compared to just 2D photos.

Wow what a beauty. Wish I had the patience, skil, time and space to have a go at something similar.

Can anyone tell me what the black cross is below the victory markings in picture 5.

It's the C of G indicator marker, first used on the 'C' model when the fuselage tank was introduced, and of course to 'B's' retrofitted with the tank.

Not to take away from a GREAT model but this guy makes GREAT models.
Model Makers?Young C. Park

Yes, I've seen his work before, and it's excellent. However, this Mustang (and the earlier Spitfire, on display at RAFM, Hendon) is much larger, and every part is to precise scale, assembled / constructed in the same way as the original, full-size aircraft. The wingspan of the Mustang is around 5 or 6 feet and, thinking about it, the model is probably larger than the 1/8th scale I mentioned.
Unfortunately, I was so engrossed taking pics of the model, I forgot to photograph the title and detail placards on the base of the display case, the latter standing approximately five feet high, and around 8 x 8 feet !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back