Inline engines: Modern air cooled vs WWII water cooled

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is what complicates things over here. If our diesel costs 10-15% more than the gasoline AND the diesel car cost more money to begin with than the same car with a gas engine the payback is a LOT slower.
Diesel pick up trucks are popular but gas pickup trucks get horrendous gas mileage and have big fuel tanks. The payback is much quicker. If you are looking at a car that gets 35mpg (real and not advertised) and diesel that gets 45mpg (28% better) and the diesel fuel costs that 10-15% more? and the car costs ???? more (VW Jetta, cheapest with gas engine is $4,000 cheaper than cheapest Jetta Diesel).

If the diesel fuel was as cheap as the gas or cheaper it would be no-brainer. As it is you need an accounting program to figure out if you are better off from state to state. :)

SR try living in Europe Diesel as a product is cheapest in UK but the UK applies the highest amount of tax so to buy UK diesel is most expensive. More than haf the cost of diesel and petrol is tax here so it just bears as much relation to the oil price as the governments wants. I dont know what the governments latest idea is before I set off to go to Germany through France Belgium and Holland .

At the end of the war Rolls Royce were working hard on the Crecy a supercharged 2 stroke maybe that would have been the future but it must have been deafening.

I know we have it easier here in the US, the point I was trying to make was that If I buy the gas Jetta ( or pick some other cars) I can drive for 30-35,000 miles before my cost of car+fuel equals the price of Diesel Jetta and driving it home from the dealer. If you are not a high mileage driver it could be two years before you start to get past the break even point. This has got to affect the popularity of some diesel cars. And as I pointed out, I am about 100 miles from one of other members living on opposite sides of NY City yet I would pay 15% more diesel fuel than he would. I would also pay more for Diesel than for premium let alone regular fuel so it would take me years to start saving money with the diesel.
The government has or had some tax incentives for hybrid cars but none for diesels.

SR try living in Europe Diesel as a product is cheapest in UK but the UK applies the highest amount of tax so to buy UK diesel is most expensive. More than haf the cost of diesel and petrol is tax here so it just bears as much relation to the oil price as the governments wants. I dont know what the governments latest idea is before I set off to go to Germany through France Belgium and Holland .
Gasoline prices weren't bad in Bulgaria, Croatia or Serbia, a little higher in Slovenia but they were completely ridiculous in Greece and parts of Italy.

That was about the only negative thing I encountered during my trip (summer of 2012) besides the endless toll booths in Greece (and the tolls were NOT cheap)

The Fw-190 was fast as the Corsair because it was a small aircraft, compared with the Corsair. It's wing was even smaller than of Spitfire, P-40 or Zero's, or the P-51, being of reasonably modern profile and thickness. The modest size was the key to a good/excellent performance of the Bf-109, Yak La fighters, MC.202/205.
We don't know how much the convoluted air streaming through the oil cooler of the BMW-801 added to the drag. The engine installation was of low drag, but significantly helped by the 801 having a diameter of only 50.5 in.

The R-2800 was certainly fully developed - two stage (available in early 1942) or turbo compressor, with inter-cooler, capability for water injection, even a cooling fan was successfully tested.

The XP-47J, 500+ mph was claimed (though it's a turbo): link. The P&W and NACA were experimenting with fan cooled radial before Pearl Harbor was attacked.

Plus the Bf-109F-4, Gustavs prior the G-6 (even without Notleistung ), the P-51A.

The P-51A or Mustang I AFAIKT ever exceeded 390mph though with the Allison replaced with a Merlin 45 or better still Merlin 28 it surely would have.
The XP38J surely represents a post war aircraft as it used a never quite developed V16 engine.

The Focke-Wulf Ta 152 might have been seen with the Jumo 222E/F engine. This engine was benching 2800hp with B3+MW50 with two stage multispeed supercharger and surely would have managed an easy 3100hp on better fuel and a speed in excess of 500mph. The Jumo 222A2/B2 was scheduled for production for September 1944 but I think air-cooled engines would have matched in (eg XP-72 superbolt).

It just depends on what engine was in development at the right time, just before piston development was shut down in favour of jets.

The P-51A or Mustang I AFAIKT ever exceeded 390mph though with the Allison replaced with a Merlin 45 or better still Merlin 28 it surely would have.

P-51A (V-1710 F20R engine, 1125 HP at 14500 ft without ram) was called the Mustang II, in service abroad from September 1943. One of the tests:link.
Not to be confused with Mustang I (V-1710 F3R engine, 1150 HP at 12000 ft without ram), in service with RAF from April 1942.

The XP38J surely represents a post war aircraft as it used a never quite developed V16 engine.

I was talking about the XP-47J (Thunderbolt), not the XP-38J (Lightning). The engine in the XP-47J was the R-2800 'C' series, fan cooled installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back