Italian Bombers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese said:
The A.S.14 could really have become something...
After the first north-african experiences, Regia Aeronautica was actively searching for an effective anti-tank and anti-ship air weapon. So there were multiple experiments, with artillery pieces mounted on aircrafts, and trasformations of existing planes into dive-bombers.
Even tha Fiat Camsa FC-20 Bis, with the 37/54 mm Breda anti-tank / anti-air cannon had a quite daring appearance.

Fc20.jpg

If someone is interested, this is the Breda 37/54 cannon. Originally created as a naval AA gun it was used pratically in all units of Italian navy in WWII, and even in North-Africa, as anti-tank weapon

armi_62a_big.jpg

the 37/54 in action: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/DogW/c21ee0c5.jpg

Specifications here: http://regiamarina.net/arsenals/guns/specs/specs_us.asp?ID=5

However, for me, the right place to fit it, would be the nose of a special version of the Imam Ro-57 Bis.
One of the more underrated italian aircrafts of the WWII, in my opinion.

DogW

Could be. Even if, for Ro-58, the decision was for a big amount of medium fire (five 20 mm with the "gun pod"), rather than less amount of heavy fire. It's possible than the Ro-58, weighing a full ton more than the Ro-57b with pratically the same wings and similar armament, was less adapt to carry another heavy weapon. While for the Ro-57, the problem was the lack of power of the engines.
I think that the '57, with two more powerful radials only (that were fully avaliable when the Regia Aeronautica returned on his previous decision, and ordered the production of the Ro-57b, for close ground support and dive bombing) could fill the gap that Regia Aeronautica had in AT aircrafts and nightfighters, with only a different version of the same plane.

DogW

While on the subject of the Caproni jet does anyone know this story?
2007.jpg

REGGIANE
Early Italian jet experimentation with indigenous power plants, such as the Caproni-Campini N.1 that used a 900 HP Isotta-Fraschini piston engine and ducts to produce jet thrust, were lackluster but Italy almost had a potent jet. The 1943 Reggaine Re-2007 was to use the Junker Jumo 004B with 1,980 lbs. thrust.

The open exchange of ideas and material between Germany and Italy saw interesting applications in the aviation field such as using Daimler-Benz piston engines on Italian prototypes. When the Jumo was seen as a possible source of power Reggaine laid out a small fighter design. For the time, right before Italy's capitulation, the craft looked quite a lot like contemporary Reggaine piston engine fighters, which makes sense. Even the classic Reggaine tail was present on the horizontally oval-shaped 29.5-foot fuselage. Though the tail was non-swept the wings spanning 31.1 feet did have a slight sweep.
A certain Hauptmann (Captain) Bohm, was the Luftwaffe's senior engineer at the Reggiane plant, but even he was unable to obtain a positive decision concerning the supply of the two Junkers Jumo 004B's which had been promised by the Berlin. On January 7, 1944, Reggaine engineer Roberto Longhi wrote to Count Caproni, requesting that he intervene with the Germans as design work had diminished. Much of the rear fuselage, wing spars, ribs, undercarriage and the cockpit were already built but because of the inability to obtain adequately detailed dimensional specifications about the engine work once again halted.
In October 1944 the finished components were transported to the Caproni plant at Taliedo, where they remained until the end of the war. They were ultimately shipped to the US. The two Jumo 004B engines were sent to Italy, but were allegedly sold for scrap in Milan immediately after the withdrawal of German forces in Italy.

Keeping with the Italian lust for compact planes of high maneuverability the Re-2007 was that weighing just 7,788 lbs. loaded compared to around 14,000 lbs. for the Me 262. Its pair of 004Bs was buried in the fuselage for a very post-war look. The pilot's bubble canopy sat adjacent to the leading edge of the wings.

Maximum speed was estimated to be about 630 MPH while a range of 931 miles was estimated. Four 20 mm MG 151 cannon were to be the armament.

This jet design was quite standard in every way and specifications seem legitimate.

Yeah, its a farce. It was actually designed after WW2 by Longhi, but claimed to have been designed during the war, in the hope that the company would still get design contracts.

Do you know this plane, near Siwa at N 28° 23' et E 25° 57'
It is probably the nose of a light italian bomber.
Which one?

Attachments

• zerzura plane.jpg
    zerzura plane.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 232
  • wrackhw7.jpg
    wrackhw7.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 207
Bravo, FLYBOYJ !

I found a new picture (attached)

You are fine. It's surely a CA310

Thanks.

Yves

PS: go to my saharian site ( ACCUEIL) and see the chapter AVIONS

PPS: a report of the search is also attached (C'ESTUNCA310..PDF)

Attachments

• CESTUN310.pdf
    959.7 KB · Views: 168
  • gilfbygooglemaps.jpg
    gilfbygooglemaps.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 193
Why does it look like it has a ring-mount for a turret or something? The CA-310 didn't have anything like that, at least not that I can see in the pics above. Maybe it's actually something else? A chin turret? Bomb-sight? Other than that, it definetly looks right. Besides, a B-17 nose is a B-17 nose, whether its a chin-turretless B-17E or a G model, right? Pretty damn cool either way. Did they just find this nose section lying in the desert? Crazy. Where did they find it? I think that would be a trip and a half, to find a piece of a WWII plane lying undiscovered somewhere. Just think, that was a piece of a plane, shot down way back when, and it fell away when the plane broke up and landed in the sand. And there it sat until it was found again. Who sat in that nose once? Did they aim any fatal bombs from there? What were they like? THIS is why I like history so much! =)

Hi, I thought, better, I was almost sure that's a Caproni Ca.309 :D
The circular frame on nose tip looks very different from the same area on Ca.310.

What puzzled me was that circular hatch on nose roof (or bottom? ;)), and a bit of research on net about 309 leads me to this image of a 309 from Bunderarchive:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-786-0344-17A%2C_Flugzeug_Focke-Wulf_Fw_58.jpg

Now that make sense! In fact, a bunch of 309s were used by italians as ground attack planes against british desert patrols and were consequently equipped with a manned 7.7mm gun in the nose that was mounted on the floor on a round base ;)
Anyway, that wreck was already identified as a 309 some year ago...

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back