Japanese Zero (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You could put a scoop just like the carburetor scoop on the bottom front of the Zero's cowling, but invert it to the top of the radiator surround. The rounded contours of both are close.

Or take the oil cooler scoop design from the bottom rear of the Zero cowling, put it on the hood.

Tyrodtom,
I noticed that some had two scoops, some had one but didn't tie it different models (but it makes sense). I thought the single would be a better prototype for hotrod hence it was the only one I posted!
Cheers,
Biff

Hello All,

On the A6M2 Zero, there are two scoops under the cowl.
The front scoop that is even with the leading edge of the cowl is the carburetor scoop.
The rear scoop that is under the trailing edge of the cowl is the oil cooler.

On the A6M3 and A6M5 Zero there is only one scoop under the cowl.
The oil cooler is in pretty much the same place as it was on the A6M2.
The carburetor scoop was moved to the upper leading edge of the cowl.
Although the engine diameter is unchanged, the intake ducting above the engine is blended into the contour of the cowl and it appears deeper.
Besides the exhaust differences, there is a slight difference in contour between the A6M3 and A6M5

The easiest visible contrast is that the rear edge of the A6M2 cowl is well below the lower edge of the front canopy frame. The two bulges for the nose guns make the fuselage between cockpit and cowl appear to slope downward to the front. On the A6M3 / A6M5, the raised line of the upper cowl is very close to aligned vertically with the lower edge of the front canopy frame.

Note that this description applies to the original Mitsubishi A6M series with a Sakae engine. The modern A6M replicas and restorations just about all fly with a Pratt Whitney R-1830 which is a bit larger and change this alignment even on the A6M2 replicas. I believe there is only one Zero that still flies with a Sakae and it is a A6M5.

Hope this helps.
- Ivan.

New picture for the dining room. My wife says I might be obsessing. ...again. :D I don't think so, I just dig the seat.

DSC05141.JPG

Last edited:
I really like those air cleaner ideas. I'll run them past the boss. See what he thinks. We are getting down to dead line time. So I don't know how crazy we can get with what's left on this project. It needs to get done at this point. Matt is working on the mounting for the seats now. The guy is a metal artist, I'll post some pictures of his work when it's done.
Thanks for the interest in this project! We're almost done!

Wind Rises is not related to Zero, it is related to Jiro Horikoshi. I saw it, it is pretty good movie but director added from himself a bit, its not that accurate about Jiro's life. And more it focuses on early and mid 1930's. You wont find there much about A6M, which I believe was his best creation (with A7M, but second one was never allowed to prove the value). It is a good movie as I said, but it doesnt carry the story up to WWII.

The Eternal Zero on the other hand is movie i havent seen, but I've heared very good references. My Japanese friend, who is a student promised me to buy a copy of it in Japan and carry it to Europe, when he arrives. I'm only worried that movies purcheased in Japan dont have any options in case of subtitles, so I'll have to watch not understanding anything.
But Eternal Zero is considered as very detailed and accurate movie in which everyone can find something interesting for him.
Those are pictures from 1:1 presenting full scale replica of A6M2 mod 21 from Rabaul Kokutai :
A6M2_Zer0-sen_Rabaul-ku_replica_Eternal-Zero-movie_2013-C-1_zpsa2aff1ae.jpg

A6M2_Zer0-sen_Rabaul-ku_replica_Eternal-Zero-movie_2013-C-2_zps13e885a5.jpg

Zero-sen from Tainan Kokutai
A6M2_Zer0-sen_Tainan-ku_replica_Eternal-Zero-movie_2013-C-2_zpsb9366956.jpg

Rabaul Lakunai Airfield:
img_3?1374193446.jpg

img_4?1374193446.jpg

This for instance is an exact replica of the operations building at Rabaul, on which Isoroku Yamamoto sat when he was supervising the attack on Guadalcanal.
Yamamoto_last_image_alive.jpg

rabaul_commandpost_real.jpg

Pictures taken from ????????????????? - ???????????????? - Yahoo!???

Last edited:
Did they ?
I'm looking on 2nd picture and colour on the low part of the wings is not green, it is much lighter. But it doesnt really matter, from the comments I've read the amount of detail they put into movie is really astonishing.

Did they ?
I'm looking on 2nd picture and colour on the low part of the wings is not green, it is much lighter. But it doesnt really matter, from the comments I've read the amount of detail they put into movie is really astonishing.

Perhaps you are right. In the first photograph, the bottom of the fuselage is also a lighter colour.
I was expecting the green colour not to go as far down the side of the fuselage but field applied camouflage is probably a bit different from the factory paint patterns.

Can you see anything wrong with the models? I am certainly not an expert on the Type Zero, but I can't see anything except for an unexpected shape for the aileron hinge fairing. Maybe it is correct and my expectations are wrong. Even the cowling contours look good which is unusual.

Very Pretty! I hope the models end up in some place worthy.

- Ivan.

zero seat done.jpg
20140730_165543.jpg
20140730_164746.jpg
Guess I forgot to take good "finished" pictures of the seats when they were done. I did see some pics on "Just a car guy". But I didn't want to repost his pictures without asking. So you could look for yourself, if you want. Search "Just a car guy, zero seats". Here is a pic I found while searching the around in my pics I have on my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back