Japanese Zero

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ha GregP. There does seem to be a good bunch of views on this thread. I was hoping for some comments, suggestions, whatever.
How far is Yokohama from Osaka?

Thanks, glad your liking it. Here are the square seat belt brackets. Still needs the coat hangers and ID tags. Maybe something more with the seat mounts.

Attachments

• 20140731_163516.jpg
    20140731_163516.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 238
  • 20140731_170035.jpg
    20140731_170035.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 20140731_191136.jpg
    20140731_191136.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 20140731_191200.jpg
    20140731_191200.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 229
In case your wondering. The Spinpachi blueprint called for these to be at a 12 degree angle. So that's what I did. Speaking of Spinpachi, ...you still out there? How far are you from Yokohama?
A lot of work into those little seat belt brackets. Not perfect, but I think they're pretty good.:happy3:

Any dimensions on the coat hanger? Details of the retaining pin that holds it? I could wing it. But I'd rather have some dimensions to work from.

Last edited:
Coat hangers??? Any dimensions on coat hangers?

Spinpachi, looks like you are 240 miles from Yokohama? Would it be a big deal for you to travel to Yokohama? If your interested, you could see the seats you have helped create.:)

Has everyone lost interest in this project? Just a few more details and we are done.
The ID tag, both seats. Pass. side is "flipped/reversed" so that the tag can be seen when the door is opened:

Attachments

• 20140730_164746.jpg
    20140730_164746.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 20140806_161200.jpg
    20140806_161200.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 20140730_165624.jpg
    20140730_165624.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 251
If you're going to all that trouble to make authentic Mitsubishi Zero seats for it, and a WW2 Japanese national flag on it , why not put a Japanese motor in it ??

They make V8s too .
Would be interesting to see. Perhaps a Toyota or Honda F1 engine?

As far as interest goes, Bent-Metal, people make the rounds, so sometimes a thread may sit idle for a day or so...not to worry, we're still here!

As far as the measurements on the seatbelt anchor "rings" are concerned, you may have to make an educated guess based on scale comparisons from the images posted previously in this thread.

And you've done a hell of a job on those seats! Your shop should consider making more of them available to cockpit builders and aviation entheusiasts.

Thank you very much guys!!! Glad to hear all of the encouragement, and the ideas, for sure!

I think it's too late to change the motor. We are also trying not to get too "thyme ish" in the car. If you know what I mean. Just cool Japanese and American stuff combined. Also, I think the rising sun is going to have to go. Apparently it's offensive in Japan. Sorta' like a Confederate flag is in America? We didn't realize the meaning that it has for some Japanese people. So it's going to go. If anyone has some ideas that would fit the car for an air cleaner, I'd love to hear it. I guess the planes just had intakes, no filter type 'air cleaners', right? But something that looks Japanese or American fighter plane-ish from WW-2 would be cool.
GrauGeist, I almost bought a Hudson Invader motor once. Still have my eye on it. But never could justify it's purchase. But I like where you are going with that! :)
Tyrodtom, Those are Paul's. He is making them now and they are awesome. PM me if you want to talk to him.
Spinpachi, Thank you very much for all of your help. The blueprints, and your CGI has been priceless. ..Extremely helpful. I don't understand you saying you don't want to help any further. Perhaps I am missing something in translation there? I don't know. But I'm sure you have more to offer. I know I have information that would clarify some of the details in your CGIs. I gave you some already, but I didn't want to be too critical of your already fantastic work. Having held a real seat in my hands, I can tell you that there are some differences in not only the seat we did, but your CGI drawings as well, and in different aspects from each of us. I'm sure Greg has noticed. That's ok, I think about 90% of the experts would find them both satisfactory. You never answered me about Yokohama. This car will be in Yokohama in four months. On Dec. 7th. Yes Pearl Harbor Day. Then it will go to it's new home, near Osaka. ...I thought you might like to see it. ...As a hobbyist.

Also, what does "give me bacon" mean?

Bent-Metal, years ago, I stabbed a GM 702 (702.9 cid) V-12 into a '68 Chevelle...fit like a charm (as long as a L-6, as wide as a BB V-8) and was a real kick in the drawers to cruise around and pop the hood at shows.
I've been in the automotive industry for ages, and have done many fun and unique projects, so I'm all for stuffing a unique engine in a rod!

Want to see a super-unique project, this guy has a turn of the century aircooled airship engine in his vehicle: Just a car guy : Finally learned what the J.A.P. racecar is! J A Prestons blimp engined cycle car
And just for the record, "JAP" stands for James Alfred Preston of England and as a side note, J.A.P. engines were used aboard the larger RAF aircraft during WWII (power supply units).

As far as "give me bacon" goes, that is the mother of all likes. You can dislike a post, you can like a post, or you can give bacon!

Bent,

Very cool hotrod indeed! Love the sound of a good ole throaty V8 (1966 Mustang GT 2+2 owner)! Sorry to hear the Rising Sun has to come off, but understand. Have you thought about using a stylized version of it, like on the Sundowners F-4 Phantoms, or the current JASDAF roundel?

I would post pictures but am unable to do so from work. However, here are two links: http://www.aviation-art.net/resized/Sundowners F4.jpg, Photos: McDonnell Douglas (Mitsubishi) F-15J Eagle Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net.

These are just to help stimulate the creative juices!

Cheers,
Biff

It might be very neat to put a carburetor air scoop that rises from the carb, bends forward and fares into the top of the radiator. Maybe a wide and low (maybe 1 inch high across thr top of the radiator) opening that goes all the way across the top of the radiator but rapidly shrinks in width and increases in height and turns into the shape of the carb throat. Sort of like the carb intake ona P-51A, but wider and less tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back