Ki-21-I in Nomonhan Incident (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
Hi,

I was wondering from which unit came from the few "Sally" that participated to Khalkhin Gol fighting, during summer of 1939.

Given that they were there for sure (six lost in combat during May-August 1939), seemingly were not from the usually mentioned 60th Sentai (quoting Wikipedia: "production delays prevented the IJAAF from re-equipping the 60th Sentai and 61st Sentai until the end of 1939" - see also Sino-Japanese Air War 1937 – 1945 mentioning that 60th Senati received its first Ki-21-I early in October 1939, whilst it's not mentioned as participating to Nomonhan Incident), from which unit they were coming from?

Thank you,
GB

Looks like Wikipedia is wrong (a not uncommon situation). According to "Air War Over Khalkhin Gol", Ki-21s from both the 60th Sentai and 61st Sentai participated, although the latter is more frequently identified. The book has one picture showing a 60th Sentai Ki-21 bombing up which may not be related to Khalkhin Gol but I'd be surprised at its inclusion if it had nothing to do with the conflict.

The 61st Sentai joined bombing in Nomonhan but the 60th as its mission area was in the southern China.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

It looks that you're right about the 61st Sentai: in addition to book mentioned by buffnut and Shinpachi statement, further research revealed also Nicholas Millman's "Ki-27 Nate Aces" mentioning "12 Ki-21 bombers of the 61st Sentai", as well as Alvin D. Coox's "Nomonhan: Japan Against Russia, 1939". In addition, Khalkhin Gol/Nomonhan Incident 1939 page has a complete table of "Known units taking part in combat during the Incident", which also mentions 61st Sentai (while here pops out even a 58th Sentai fully equipped with Ki-21, not mentioned by other sources).

Thanks to all,
GB

58th Sentai was also engaged in attacking the southern area of China like Chongqing together with 12th Sentai of the same air group in Manchukuo.

Though I stated somewhere in this forum, Imperial GHQ in Tokyo did not admit Kanto(=Kwantung) Army to use bombers against Soviet troops to escalate the border conflict as it did not want any total war with Soviet Union under the situation in China but Kanto Army which was cheated and led by an ambitious staff Masanobu Tsuji had rushed into the pointless collision to taste bitter experience. He was relegated to Singapore 3 years later.

Shinpachi, I know that Nomonhan was an IJA area of operations. But as it had been in China, the Imperial Navy Air Service didn't considerate to bring some A5Ms and G3M's to back the Army if necessary? I ask you, because maybe there in Japan it would be easier to have this sort of information than in the West.

Good question, Jenisch.
IJN did not commit the incident at all as IGHQ did not intend the total war with Soviet Union.
I personally guess that Kanto Army might have been thinking independence from Japan in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back