Lend-lease aircraft crash in Lithuania (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

toddlt

Airman
Nov 23, 2008
Vilnius
Hello,

A few weeks ago there was found a place where crashed soviet aircraft. Here are some photos. There is no doubt that aircraft was received from USA.

PB1.jpg

PB2.jpg

PB3.jpg

PB4.jpg

PB5.jpg

PB6.jpg

PB7.jpg

In that place I found 12,7mm ammunition made not only in USA but also in Soviet Union. Maybe this fact could help.

Could anyone help to identify the kind or even exact mark of this aircraft?
HTML:

Last edited:
On one of your pictures there´s a label from General Electric generator voltage regulator, 94-32276. Here´s a pic of the complete regulator (but produced by Westinghouse Electric MFG),but I don´t know, on which a/c this regulator was used. But someone could help you more...
Think this regulator was used on B-17 as well but that´s not your case. Still believe in B-25...

Attachments

• acreg.jpg
    acreg.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 210
Oxygen regulator panel looks different compared the one I found.

Attachments

• B-25 Oxygen regulator.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Valve is 14,7 centimeres long. Valve's head diameter is about 3 inch, or 7,8 centimetres. Is it possible that large valves like this was used in fighters engines or was it used only in big planes' engines? What about A-20 and DC-3?

Hmmm,good question...don´t know, if some of DC-3 (C-47) delivered to Soviet union via lend-lease were equipped with the gun turret...
Yep, A-20 and also P-47 could be in the game as well...
Think you gotta wait till our American friends on this forum wake up, it´s too early now...
I´m really not able to tell you more:( ...but the voltage regulator type and producer could be good for a start.

+ The full text on the generator voltage regulator shield.

GENERAL ELECTRIC
GENERATOR VOLTAGE REGULATOR
SPEC NO. 94-32276A MODEL NO. 3GBD2B11
ORDER NO. W535-AC-35767 SYSTEM VOLTAGE 24 VOLTS
N.P. 100576 U.S. PAT. 2085995 IF PARALLEL OPERATION U.S. PAT. 1536845 MADE IN U.S.A.

+ The full text on the generator voltage regulator shield.

GENERAL ELECTRIC
GENERATOR VOLTAGE REGULATOR
SPEC NO. 94-32276A MODEL NO. 3GBD2B11
ORDER NO. W535-AC-35767 SYSTEM VOLTAGE 24 VOLTS
N.P. 100576 U.S. PAT. 2085995 IF PARALLEL OPERATION U.S. PAT. 1536845 MADE IN U.S.A.

Good! And now you gotta wait...
Something else, in the meantime you could try to post it at ArmyAirForces.com to their forum. There are some WW2 vets, some of them even engineers...they could help you as well...

Oxygen regulator panel looks different compared the one I found.
IIRC, we used a different type of oxygen system than did the Brits, so that may also be the case with other folks who used US-built a/c. That was one of the issues with the Bell P-400's at Guadalcanal.

CD

A little bit that might help; as far as I know, some of the C47's supplied to USSR were later fitted with turrets armed with a 12.7mm MG. Certainly many of those built, without licence, in the former Soviet Union had these turrets, just behind the flight deck.

In that place I also found russian signal cartridges, which were made in 1944. So, this aircraft crashed there at the earliest in 1944. Also I dug fragments of pilot(or -s) body remains in the crater. It would be great that we can identify this aircraft, unit and crew as fast as possible.
Maybe this aircraft's crew is in MIA status...

In that place I also found russian signal cartridges, which were made in 1944. So, this aircraft crashed there at the earliest in 1944. Also I dug fragments of pilot(or -s) body remains in the crater. It would be great that we can identify this aircraft, unit and crew as fast as possible.
Maybe this aircraft's crew is in MIA status...

No one in surrounding area is able to give you the crash date? Having the date and a/c type it would be more easier to find out something about the crew...

Next time, I will try to talk with locals, but, you know, that it is hard to remember exact date to older people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back