LW, who led the missions, newbie officer of veteran NCO?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kettbo

Senior Airman
Oct 18, 2007
Western Washington, USA
I seem to recall a young Chuck Yeager as a relative NEWBIE LT leading the missions due this good eyesight and tactical sense (or I have merely lost my mind)
from The Right Stuff or YEAGER, IIRC.

In the LW (edit) there were the enlisted pilots, more or less the designated wingman...backing up the LT or Captain
With luck, the Flieger survives, gains skill, and promotion. One day he becomes one of the Alte Hassen, a wiley old hare.
So, who would lead the mission, the Veteran NCO with several hundred missions, perhaps a 20-40 kills under his belt or the new LT playing at Schwarmfuhrer?

The Extreme example, BARTELS (some 90+ claimed kills), did BARTELS lead or take 2nd chair to less-experienced officers?
Still rated an NCO, not officer candidate
I know Addi Glutz eventually commissioned, as did others
'Paule' Rossmann 93 claimed, who led this stalwart? (if I have my facts right he was promoted to LT)

edit
I searched the LW 'ace' data today, many NCOs with over 40, a few over 100

Last edited:
Anybody?

Bartels 99
Wilhelm Philipp 81
Heinz Arnold 49
Eric Bartz 30
Wilhelm Mink 72
H Marquardt 121!!!!!!!!
Helmut Missner 82

On the Ost Front, small Rotte and Schwarm missons, I can see this scenario playing out in III./JG52 in OCT 42
MAJ von Bonin: "UFW Rossmann, see that scrawny blonde kid over there? That's LT Hartmann, the new replacement pilot. Take him up, show him the ropes. Don't get him killed or let him kill himself doing something stupid."
UFW Rossmann: "Yessir!" (damn, babysitting duty again!)

Early and midwar, plenty of experienced officers to go around. But by late '43, early '44, experienced Officers were getting harder to come by. I'd have these guys as Schwarmfuhrer and Staffelfuhrer leading the show, rank be damned! I'd sure like to know what role these awesome NCO pilots (and many others not named) played in larger missions, their role in the various gruppen, etc. I know the Kommodore would want hot-flying wingman but you can't hold high scorers down with this kind of duty, you must let them hunt. How is it that these guys were not made LTs so they "could" lead?

I've known NCOs who wouldn't accept a promotion to officer rank, for various reasons, they didn't want it.

As one Army Sgt. said to me when I made the mistake of calling him sir. "Don't call me sir, my parents were married , now give me 30 push ups."

I've known NCOs who wouldn't accept a promotion to officer rank, for various reasons, they didn't want it.

As one Army Sgt. said to me when I made the mistake of calling him sir. "Don't call me sir, my parents were married , now give me 30 push ups."

:lol: I have heard "Don't call me sir I work for a living" but never that one!

Erich might be able to give some good info on this...

I believe in the old book "Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe" it mentioned that NCOs with more flight experience than officers were leaders in the air and the officers yielded to that experience. It would be interesting to get a similar perspective from the RAF. I believe the Italians had many NCO pilots as well.

In the RAF it varied depending on the unit and the leadership involved. In Malta during 1942 the AOC insisted that the most senior officer led the units which caused a rise in losses and was only stopped when he was replaced. Some wings In other areas it was the most experienced man was the one who led the unit. During the BOB some squadrons were very 'old fashioned', others often the newer squadrons, were more enlightened.

I should add that in bomber command the pilot was always the one in charge of the aircraft, no matter who was on board.

My guess is that this was similar in most forces, every force has its share of idiots

I know lots of the LW NCO aces became officers one way or another. Lots didn't
I'll have check out that book FLYBOY

It is, "Don't call me Sir. I work for a living."

When I was coming to the end of my service engagement I was offered a promotion to Sergeant Major to keep me but I declined, pointing out that I was not qualified in that my parents possessed a marriage certificate.

Ironically my grandfather was an RSM and did possess a marriage certificate.

Team Leaders (One-Zero) were chosen by ability not rank. A good one-zero was the man who brought his men back alive. Some were sergents and some officers

Just an update. I read JG 26 War Diary part 2. Noted a few "LT XYZ was flying wingman for NCO 123." And several "NCO 123 lead the mission" and "NCO led the Staffel for some time before a wartime promotion to LT"

a nice article here

hmmm, not able to link, search this

Wing Commander Dean Andrew RAF (2004) Strategic Culture
in the Luftwaffe – Did it Exist in World War II and Has it Transitioned into the Air
Force?, Defence Studies, 4:3, 361-386,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back