Martin Baltimore

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I recall receiving a number of plastic toy airplanes as a young kid. All were treasured but one had a peculiar shape that didn't seem to correspond to anything I'd ever seen in film or literature. I assumed it was some toy manufacturers idea of a generic twin engine bomber that had no counterpart in reality. One day, I came across a photo of the Maryland (or maybe Baltimore) and finally recognized my toy for what it was.

Of course, the thread's topic is the Baltimore and not the Maryland, but it may be worth citing perhaps one of the Baltimore's progenitor Maryland's finest moments when as a FAA ('training'?) A/C it was pressed into service as a recce aircraft:

Martin Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On 22 May 1941, a Maryland of 771 Naval Air Squadron based at Hatston in the Orkney Islands, reported that the German battleship Bismarck had left Bergen, confirming that she was breaking-out into the Atlantic."

Martin Baltimore_05.JPG

I am probably a bit dim but what advantage did the Baltimore have over the Maryland other than the defensive turret firepower?It was no faster, cruised a bit slower and carried the same war load but over a shorter range with a slower rate of climb. The empty weight of a Baltimore is about the same as a loaded Maryland on the same wing area

A bit bigger bomb-load, the Marylanders rarely using the 'rate" 2000lb load, in fact one source (Joe Baugher's website) says "Could carry two 624-pounds or eight 116-pound bombs and six 7.5-mm machine guns" for the Marylander.

Might be hard to believe but the view from cockpit may be better too.

If you are using Wiki for a source you might want to check the empty vs loaded weights against the load. The listed 514 imp gallons of fuel is about 3800lbs while the difference between "empty weight" and "normal Loaded" is 4711 lbs. 911 lb isn't much for oil, crew, ammo (possibly guns) AND the bombs. Baltimore had over 7000lbs of "payload" to divvy up.

my data give a max bomb bay load for the Maryland I of 567 kg (In British service) and 907 kg for the Maryland II, the fuel load was 2337 liters, the difference empty max weight is around 2.7 tons for both the variants. i've no data under hand for the Baltimore, that for Marylan came from my research for the 1941 top 3 allied bombers thread. (i'm at good point probably for this week end i give my choice on that thread)

Hello. I was wondering if anyone can confirm that this is a Martin Baltimore? The photo was taken in North Africa in 1943 I believe.

Attachments

• LYDD_SAR_OPS01091520160202222116.jpg
    LYDD_SAR_OPS01091520160202222116.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 139
Thanks very much. Do you know if it is possible to identify the Squadron from the Serial number? I have a number of photos found amongst the belongings of a recently passed family member and am trying to piece together the story of the pilot in the photo (who apprently was killed in the later stages of the war). Any information or advice gratefully received.

Serial numbers AG685-734 were Baltimore Mk.Is. These were a part of 400 Baltimores delivered to Britain. The Martin numbers were 1427-1836.

Geo

EDIT: 4 RAF squadrons flew the Mk.I, all in North Africa; 55, 69, 203 and 223sqns.

Last edited:
Thank you. While using that information I discovered a Airfix model advert for the Martin Baltimore with RAF markings for 223 Sqn RAF. The Sqn code was 'X' and the serial number AG724. So it looks as if this is the same Squadron as the photo I have. Getting closer....

As memo serves the code letter wasn't the squadron code but it was an individual code marking for a plane. The AG724 was marked with the "P" code one but not with the "X".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back