ME-323

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They certainly packed them in. One flight from North Africa to Italy had 220 soldiers. 140 in the hold and 80 inside the wings!

Hi Comiso,

>in the wings!

One or two years back, a couple of Me 323 main spars were recovered in Germany. They were in excellent condition, having served as roof support arches in a warehouse for several decades.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Comiso,

>in the wings!

One or two years back, a couple of Me 323 main spars were recovered in Germany. They were in excellent condition, having served as roof support arches in a warehouse for several decades.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Interesting,,

have u seen photos?

Talking of the ME323, I had IL2 Forgotton battles and they are great fun the shoot down in a Hurricane. Don't know where the armamment is though! I think there's a gun on the right wing as you come in behind it!

Yeah, I thought that was a glitch or something, but if you read the article it says that there were gun blisters in the wings.

Hi Comiso,

>have u seen photos?

Yes, probably in Jet Prop or in Flugzeug Classic.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Adler,

>Thats the same photo I posted....

You linked the site, I provided a direct link to the photograph of the spar so that other readers can watch the picture with a single click.

The site you linked hides the actual URL of the picture - you might not be aware of this, but if you click the link in your post it takes you to the main page and not to the main spar picture.

I just provided the direct link to save everyone a couple of clicks ... I hope there's nothing wrong with that?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Anyone have any info on how many 323's were splashed during WWII?
I always felt bad for the troops who were stuck flying in those death traps. Just sitting there as huge targets.
Getting made swiss cheese by the fighters.

G'day!

I'm new on this site, and would like to know if anyone has any technical details on the internal mid-wing section of the Gigant - specifically, was it open, or fabric-covered (ie, built as a one-piece wing, and then attached to the fueslage) ?

I'm building the Italeri 1/72 scale kit at the moment, but am not sure on this detail.

Cheers! Evan

Hi Evan, I am new to this site too, as you can see i can,t write e-mails properly either. However, i do have a strong interest in german aircraft. Recently, i have been taking an interest in the Gigant, so i am also looking for more data. Just recently, i was watching Sky tv,s HISTORY CHANNEL an episode called WEIRD WEAPONS-THE AXIS of which there is 4 to 5 minutes dedicated to Gigant project. Showing film of wing construction. The programme goes on to say, the tubular steel wing is reinforced by wooden ribs, 22 on each side. The programme also shows the front cargo doors in detail, and that these were again constucted of tubular steel, made by a a local bed manufacturer. Many other parts were supplied by the furniture industry. I hope this is of use to you, and you manage to get a copy of the programme. Good luck Evan. All the best Leonard.

Ok here is a Picture of troops in the wing (diagram)

Attachments

• me32302pf7.jpg
    me32302pf7.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 146
  • me32302pf6.jpg
    me32302pf6.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 127

Users who are viewing this thread

Back