Messerschmitt 323 Found (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Really??? Wow!! What a find! :shock:

I know the diver said it's intact, but I do wonder what shape it's really in, and what it will take to get out of the water.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I wonder if it would be practical to get such a big aircraft up from such a depth. Pity its too deep to be a practical dive site, though that has probably saved it from souvenir hunters.
The article mentions the 363 as being heavily armed. I thought it had just a few hand held, rifle calibre guns.

Great find. Dreadful reporting....as usual.

"The Germans initially intended to use the plane in the planned invasion of Britain, Operation Sea Lion"

They'd have needed a time machine since Messerschmitt only submitted plans for the powered version of the Me 321 glider,which became the Me 323,in the autumn of 1941. Series manufacture started at Leipheim and Obertraubling in the summer of 1942 at which time the Luftwaffe obviously contacted Dr Who.

Steve

Only 200 produced and they were used all over Europe. I doubt if even 100 were shot down over the Med. Finding a Me-323 in the Med is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Interesting, and thanks for the "heads up" on the article....I hope that someone documents the recovery and restoration, it's going to be quite costly and difficult. I'll bet that they will have to recover it in pieces...I think that it will be impossible to lift something that old, big and in questionable condition with any confidence. I hope it doesn't get destroyed in the attempt...I always think about that B-29 that burned up when they tried to fly her out of the arctic. What a shame that was....
:eating: :coffee:

Mr Ferruci obviously has a different concept of "almost intact" to mine.
The Me 323 was largely made from materials which I wouldn't expect to survive well for 70 years under salt water,but I'm no expert.
Steve

Well the wood and fabric parts could at least be rebuilt from scratch rather easily, the question is if all that tube framework (if still existant) can be lifted without falling to pieces... I don't have high hopes to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back