Mosquito B.35 VR796 (CF-HML) Nears Completion (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Steve said that flying two Mosquitos in relative quick succession was great fun but somewhat disconcerting because he had never flown a twin engine plane with a Vmc of 170 knots until the first one. If you have an engine failure below 170 knots (these ARE 70 - 80 year old engines), you are going down, pretty much straight ahead. It is somewhat humorous since he flies a single-engine, Merlin-powered P-51, which has the same characteristics at ANY speed, except for the straight ahead part. Since the Merlins didn't fail ... exactly what he expected ... they were both good flying and fun aircraft.

They did NOT do any performance-related testing, the intent was and is to have safe, flyable Mosquitoes, not to show what they can do at or near the limits. So ... no time-to-climb or top speed testing was done. It was FLIGHT testing. He flew them at normal power settings and didn't attempt any combat-type maneuvers.

Still, it will be very nice to see one or both fly on the airshow circuit abywhere. I hope one winds up in the UK since the UK is the source of this beautiful aircraft design. Being selfish, I hope the other winds up at the Planes of Fame so I can work on it! That means we need at LEAST one more so it can fly in Australia or New New Zealand or both who, after all started this new Mosquito "production line." If they DID it, they should have one flying about, too!

Poetic justice, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back