Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been studying the Piaggio P108 lately, and I have to admit it was a pretty plane.

piaggiop108.jpg

Hi,

I was looking for "Most Functional Looking" aircraft and found this thread.

I find the Spitfire and B26 Marauder to be lovely looking planes of the WW2 era.

Post WW2 I'd say the SR-71 and XB-70 Valkyrie are two fantastic looking aircraft.

Civilian stuff would be the DC-4, Super Constellation, Britannia, 707, 990 Coronado and VC-10.

river

Hi,

I was looking for "Most Functional Looking" aircraft and found this thread.
Welcome River!

"Most Functional Looking" is an interesting associated catagory.
I think maybe the cross-over candidate that would stradle both this catagory and that one would be an L-4.
In the same sense that the "functionality" of an Army Jeep is "beautiful", both aesthetcially and practically, so is the L-4.
Great little plane that spurred a couple of post-war markets.

...JMHO. :)

Elvis

l4_grasshopper.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I thought about "most functional" yesterday, while having lunch and watching a DVD on the Beaufighter in RAAF service during WW2. And I thought the Beau is not a pretty aircraft, but with its snub-nose and those big radials and the concentrated firepower, it looks the part. It looks functional and built to kick butt. I also think the P47 is not an asthetic looking plane, but it looks functional more than it looks pretty. The later model B24 with the front/rear power turrets has that "I'm not pretty. I'm built for a purpose" look.

I find the F4 Phantom has that "functional, built to kick butt" look about it.

river

Last edited:
river said:
Hi,

Sorry. Old habit on forums where the typed word can at times be misleading to my intentions. I'll edit my previous post.

river
Hi,

I thought about "most functional" yesterday, while having lunch and watching a DVD on the Beaufighter in RAAF service during WW2. And I thought the Beau is not a pretty aircraft, but with its snub-nose and those big radials and the concentrated firepower, it looks the part. It looks functional and built to kick butt. I also think the P47 is not an asthetic looking plane, but it looks functional more than it looks pretty. The later model B24 with the front/rear power turrets has that "I'm not pretty. I'm built for a purpose" look.

I find the F4 Phantom has that "functional, built to kick butt" look about it.

river
Ah, I see what you were getting at now.
That makes much better sense.
Thanks for your help in resolving that issue.

Elvis

Its not my favorite warbird but the late P-40 , M or E is a sleek design, that looks as a fighter plane should.

I'd even give credit to the 109s on looks alone, but i can't say i favor it beyond that.

oh yeah,
i cant leave out the F8F bearcat.

2851661267_cc01bb1054.jpg

Last edited:
Trot out the same tired old favourites I'm afraid

The Spitfire: graceful, beautiful lines probably at their zenith with the Mk VIII, this was the last of the Merlin fighters, prior to the more muscular lines of the Griffon fighters.

The Mustang: the D was the epitomy of aerodynamically efficient beauty, a well thought-out, clean chassis with compound curves aplenty.

Neither the Bf109 nor the Fw190 series were beautiful in the same sense as the previous two but they certainly had their own, dangerous-looking brand of beauty. Most of the notable German designs looked predatory, viz the Me262, the Ju87.

The Typhoon had all the beauty of a square-jawed, bar-room brawler.

The P-47 looked like the Typhoon's drinking partner...

I didn't know Piaggio built airplanes !! I have a Piaggio motor scooter !!!

However, for a beautiful airplane, my vote goes to the "Connie".

Charles
Well ...
After the war, Piaggio re-tooled the small starter motor used on the big P. XII radials of the P.108 and used it to power the Vespa scooters it now builds in the re-built Pontedera plant.

Kris

Trot out the same tired old favourites I'm afraid

The Spitfire: graceful, beautiful lines probably at their zenith with the Mk VIII, this was the last of the Merlin fighters, prior to the more muscular lines of the Griffon fighters.

The Mustang: the D was the epitomy of aerodynamically efficient beauty, a well thought-out, clean chassis with compound curves aplenty.

Neither the Bf109 nor the Fw190 series were beautiful in the same sense as the previous two but they certainly had their own, dangerous-looking brand of beauty. Most of the notable German designs looked predatory, viz the Me262, the Ju87.

The Typhoon had all the beauty of a square-jawed, bar-room brawler.

The P-47 looked like the Typhoon's drinking partner...

Oh my gaawwwd, Colin, that's sooooo "5 minutes ago". :rolleyes:

( :D ;) )

(actually, I gotta agree. The Spit was one of the most elegant designs of the war)

Elvis

The A-10 Thunderbolt II looks more beautiful to me than any other plane. I went to see Terminator Salvation just because of the A-10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back