My Grandfathers letters home to my Grandmother... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ROR

Recruit
Jan 26, 2010
Before my Grandmother passed away she give me all of my Grandfathers letters to her that he wrote during WWII. He was a bombardier aboard a B-24 flying out of Spinazolla Italy in 1944 and has a pretty amazing story to tell. I've decided to publish these letters as a tribute to my Grandparents. I will be publishing the letters on my blog on the same day he wrote them, only 66 years later. If you find it interesting, please share. It's a good daily reminder of how hard they had it and how lucky we all are.

Ramblings of Robert

Hi ROR.

I've bookmarked your blog - it's going to be fascinating to follow your grandparents in their writings, and I think it's a brilliant idea to publish the letters on the very same day they were written, only 66 years later.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Maria.

Thank you! I appreciate it. I'm really excited to be doing this as it's a project I've been wanting to do for some time.

Good story and good attempt. I have bookmarked it too.
Thanks for sharing ROR.

Excellent, excellent idea!!!

Sounds like you're picking up that next "bottle of scotch"!

Haha! Exactly. That was such a great idea.

New letter today... They get more and more interesting as he moves to Italy and starts his missions (still a couple weeks out).

A sample from today's letter: "I wouldn't trade an inch of the good old U.S.A. for all of Europe and Africa. Boy, will it ever be a good day when we see the U.S. again - after this I'll never gripe again."

I hope you enjoy. I'll start adding insights into the letters when it makes sense to do so.

Robert, this is great stuff!! I can't wait until the next letter. So, he was the "scrounger' for the unit!

Thanks everyone! Glad you are enjoying it so far... He's got some amazing stories coming up. I love reliving this with him and with everyone.

Thanks for your effort. It is always interesting to read the thoughts and feelings of those who participate in history. Looking forward to the next installment.

Another new letter today. They are going to start being more frequent now.

Today's sample: "I still can't quite conceive that we are really here - but reality is slowly and surely taking place, especially when you look around and see the ruins of battles and shell holes plus wrecked planes. However they have it pretty well cleaned up now. Still, this was a battlefield less than a year ago and our Group Headquarters was used by Rommel at one time."

You'll notice two things that he always mentions... He'll never gripe again when he gets home and the days he doesn't get a letter from my Grandmother are the worst days. Pretty amazing to think that 66 years ago today my Grandfather was in Africa. The next 6 months changed his life forever.

Ramblings of Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back