Newly restoration Fw190 D-9

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From Sandy Air Corp

Dear Friends of SANDY AIR!

We proudly present our recently completed FW 190 D9 WNr. 400616, formerly flown by Uffz. Koch of the famous JG 54 "Greenhearts"

This is one out of only two surviving FW 190 D9 worldwide with authentic serial number and battle history. The aircraft even features the original Jumo 213 A previously used on this Serial number!

The aircraft may be visited at the location of the extraordinary warbird collection "Hangar 10" on the island of Usedom/Germany. (Home - Hangar10 - Air Fighter Academy GmbH)
The aircraft is up for sale now!

All the best,
Wolfgang Falch
SANDY AIR CORP.

Note: much of the a/c is Flugwerk.

This link says WNr 400616 flew with I./JG2 and was 99% damaged.
www.lostaircraft.com • Datenbank

So much for the Sandy Air statement.

Claus Colling:
"The airframe structure is that of the former Flug Werk FW 190 A8/N which ditched in the Mediterranean harbor of Toulon/France."

Ahh, I hope they do at least one flight with it, in oder to capture the plane with HD cameras. =D

The Claus Colling statement is wrong. The replica A8 he referes to is still in existance but in storage by its owner. Our D9 has nothing to do with the Flugwerk replicas. There is only a section of the cockpit that was made by Flugwerk and used for the restoration! If in doubt ask Maier Motors or the Hangar 10 team!

To the others: thank you for liking our most recent restoration!
SANDY AIR CORP.

Nice to see a D-9 replica (it does say somewhere that roughly 99% of it had to recreated/replaced so...) - I wonder what power it has?, as I got it confused with the Jumo'd D-13 which I initially assumed it was... D'oh is me (see below)

The D-13 as far as I know is the only one in the World with a working Jumo 213 engine in it, and as such will never be flown exactly because of that.

Any other Jumo inverted V-12's that are around elsewhere, are either bits of salvaged wrecked motors, have be cut open for 'museum displays' or are missing keep internal parts as no one regularly creates or supplies parts for them specifically.

Any parts needing to be repaired or replaced are 'custom engineered' for the Jumo, and since there's only one working 211/213 series engine, that makes its parts at least 500% more expensive than a corresponding similar part for the comparatively still in low key availability production with some parts supply for Merlins/Packhards.

Last edited:
For those who know our aircraft a few explanations:
There is always a decission to make about how much of an aircraft should be original which is being restored either to flying or to static. As much as I love flying warbirds myself (I have logged several hundered hours in taildraggers and warbirds), I think that preservation of aircraft/wrecks that cannot turned into flying machines is also important.
With this FW 190 D9 it was like that: we had the original Jumo 213A engine from that WerkNummer, as well as some airframe parts. We looked for as much original D9 components as possible and started the rebuilding process.
I estimate that some 25% of the aircraft come from that WerkNummer and another 15% from different D9s. The rest is new.
It is similar with our other projects, i.e. the three Bf 109s we have finished so far. With respect to those who think that this is a waste of original parts I have to say that I usually keep the airworthy parts and provide shops with them who restore flying aircraft. Most of the time I use only damaged or corroded parts for my static restorations.
My question now to you: is it better to have an aileron hanging from a wall, or an instrument on a book shelf, or to have them integrated in an airframe of a known WerkNummer? My answer will allways be: I prefer the static aircraft rather than a collection of bits and pieces. Besides, has anyone ever wondered why there are so many "projects" out there and only so few that get finished? My shop is one of the very few that are capable of completing a project.
All the best,
Wolfgang Falch
SANDY AIR CORP.

Last edited:
When did the Fw190 get a forward leaning antenna mount on the vertical fin?

For those who know our aircraft a few explanations:
There is always a decission to make about how much of an aircraft should be original which is being restored either to flying or to static. As much as I love flying warbirds myself (I have logged several hundered hours in taildraggers and warbirds), I think that preservation of aircraft/wrecks that cannot turned into flying machines is also important.
With this FW 190 D9 it was like that: we had the original Jumo 213A engine from that WerkNummer, as well as some airframe parts. We looked for as much original D9 components as possible and started the rebuilding process.
I estimate that some 25% of the aircraft come from that WerkNummer and another 15% from different D9s. The rest is new.
It is similar with our other projects, i.e. the three Bf 109s we have finished so far. With respect to those who think that this is a waste of original parts I have to say that I usually keep the airworthy parts and provide shops with them who restore flying aircraft. Most of the time I use only damaged or corroded parts for my static restorations.
My question now to you: is it better to have an aileron hanging from a wall, or an instrument on a book shelf, or to have them integrated in an airframe of a known WerkNummer? My answer will allways be: I prefer the static aircraft rather than a collection of bits and pieces. Besides, has anyone ever wondered why there are so many "projects" out there and only so few that get finished? My shop is one of the very few that are capable of completing a project.
All the best,
Wolfgang Falch
SANDY AIR CORP.
Rebuild as many complete aircraft as possible I say. I don't care if they are assembled from x different airframes so long as you can use as many original parts as possible. Me personally I also rather have an aircraft build with 50 per cent new parts than a 50 per cent complete wreck sitting somewhere in a hangar (e.g. Ta 152).

Its probably a modern comm's (VHF or UHF) aerial, and possibly they thought it'd work or look better there, than say sticking up upon the rear of the canopy - it'd instantly stick out more to them and cause lots of people to moan about it.

..I failed to look at the located-some-where-else pic, it is the standard fins (not to be confused with Finns..) radio wire mast without its radio wire.

Last edited:

Milosh, have you ever heard of wide angle lenses? Yes? OK, here is the answer: I have put three red vertical lines over the tail - where is the forward leaning antenna now? The wide angle lense distorts images and makes them look different.

If my reply does not sound too polite here is the reason why: when you read all of these posts on forums regarding our 190 D9 then you get the impression that there are a few experts who have nothing else to do but to pour mud over whatever we do. Leading in that respect is Michael Fuller who hides behind the alias Harrison987. Strange enough our replies and post are not beeing published in forums like 12oclockhigh. When Fuller called my a liar because I said that the airframe is not Flugwerk except for a small portion of it, he repeated 3 times that the airframe is 100% Flugwerk. When the post with the wrong Colling statment got removed, he did not respond with an apology, no - he said: it is obvious - now what is obvious? That Fuller called us liars though he just did not see what was Flugwerk and what was not, or that he just simply does not understand much about warbirds - these are some of these so-called experts we have to deal with - enoying! And the worst: Fuller violates copyrights in another post and despite the fact that my name including the copyright can be found on the pictures he uses without permission, the webmaster does not bother and leaves them where they are including the damaging remarks regarding our projects ...

Attachments

• 190D9_White16_Tail.jpg
    190D9_White16_Tail.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 740

Users who are viewing this thread

Back