Which was the best night fighter? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

true, but by 1944 were eclipsed by Mossies. The Mossie was more manouverable and possessed a higher top speed. Its range was also superior.

I dont know if the Beau was fitted with the AI MkIX radar either, in anything like the numbers that it was fitted to the Mosquito.

Ill bet buckets as well that its wooden construction made it a bit cheaper to build....certainly that was the case in Australia, where the savings in strategic materials made a big difference

Without any disrespect to the LW fans her, I would put the Beaufighter on about the same level as the late war Ju88 NF versions, although the passive detection systems in the Junkers (and all German NFs was superior to the allied passive detection fits.

Which seating arrangement was better?

Side by side or the 1 facing forward other backward?

I'm not sure it makes much difference, as long as the two crew can communicate effectively with each other. The only advantage to side by side is a potentially better visual field around the a/c, but that would be of relatively little assistance in a nightfighter.

Par

different night techniks to consider when comparing the Beu to the Ju 88G variants. not sure if equally matched, remember the Ju 88G was a big crate the G-6 carried a crew of 4 during 45 almost as standard. would admit have stag antler type aerials outside of the nose on the G-6 hampered the overall performance of the craft. the forward four 2cm was enough to take anything down as well as be a real threat in the ground attack roles/ both night and day in 45.

It was common for the pilot of a british NF to get the radar op to double check the target before opening fire. For that reason I would go for the ability for both to look forward.
British NF were also equiped with Ross NV binoculars which didn't have much magnification but had better light gathering enabling them to assist with the identification of the target at night. These for obvious reasons were used by the Radar Operator

I don't think the Germans had that problem, any 4 engined heavy blast away.

If they came across a 2 engined 1 they would run away I reckon. Cause it either was a friendly or a Mossie.

How was the Night airwar fought? Single planes or in groups?

Last edited:
I have an honest question. Many sources in the hard-copy and online literature indicate that the He-219 was the best German night fighter, and possibly the best overall in WW2. Yet a number of posters on this board state (as if it was proven fact we should all know by now) that the He-219 has been over-rated, and almost imply that there has been an orchestrated campaign by some aviation historians to do this. Upon what is this claim based? Post-war test flights by allied pilots? Newly researched primary literature or flight test results from wartime Germany? The fact that earlier historians were simply wrong or used biased/bad sources?

please give references and dates of books if you would and in most likely circumstances the books will be quite old and the online sites will agree with this "old" info on the He 219. look through this multi-faceted thread and the re why the He 219 did not perform to expectations is simple to decipher. you must ask yourself why the famous NJG's 3 and 5 refused the Uhu instead keeping on the Ju 88G-6 and why only I./NJG 1 had the Uhu as standard equipment from 43 till wars end, a few were on Stab with NJGr 10 and in II./NJG 1 maybe 1-2 possibly and they were older A-0 units. Best LW NF ..........hardly not even equipped with a rear ward radar as standard must tell you something

please give references and dates of books if you would and in most likely circumstances the books will be quite old and the online sites will agree with this "old" info on the He 219. look through this multi-faceted thread and the re why the He 219 did not perform to expectations is simple to decipher. you must ask yourself why the famous NJG's 3 and 5 refused the Uhu instead keeping on the Ju 88G-6 and why only I./NJG 1 had the Uhu as standard equipment from 43 till wars end, a few were on Stab with NJGr 10 and in II./NJG 1 maybe 1-2 possibly and they were older A-0 units. Best LW NF ..........hardly not even equipped with a rear ward radar as standard must tell you something

My sources are admittedly old (various WM Green books and some of the Squadron profiles). But in reading through this thread I have failed to see much in the way of citations from scholarly aviation histories to support the alternate view.

well I suppose that first person interviews would be discounted in your eyes correct ? there is a small cadre of LW experten amongst us the past 25 years studying these LW NF crates, the data is well collected and even documented in mag articles and for future volumes, my info is just for that especially.

with all due respect take your Green books and toss them; might want to check in the hard back from Roland Remp via Aviatic pubs. there is also a nice little softback just published on the Uhu not sure the publishing firm sad to say but will look for it soon, as I may just spend the monies for the little thing, so far there is really none in text form covering the real interesting I./NJG 1 operations with the Uhu, but maybe within 5 years.

Last edited:
well I suppose that first person interviews would be discounted in your eyes correct ? there is a small cadre of LW experten amongst us the past 25 years studying these LW NF crates, the data is well collected and even documented in mag articles and for future volumes, my info is just for that especially.

with all due respect take your Green books and toss them; might want to check in the hard back from Roland Remp via Aviatic pubs. there is also a nice little softback just published on the Uhu not sure the publishing firm sad to say but will look for it soon, as I may just spend the monies for the little thing, so far there is really none in text form covering the real interesting I./NJG 1 operations with the Uhu, but maybe within 5 years.

Thanks you, but I will keep the Green books. They may be old and outdated, but Green was one of the first historians of WW2 aviation that actually did research on primary German sources. I will look for the Remp book and await the time when the information you are collecting is formally published. Until then, however, I will admit that the abilities of the He-219 are open to legitimate debate.

Greens books are mythical is cope many here can attest to that.

I am not publishing a book on the He 219 at all am going to cover the 12 Mossie victories I./NJG 1 in some for in my anti-Mossie book volume(s). Kagero is the publication that has printed out a soft bound volume on the Uhu just recently, not sure if it is a modelling book or of any historical value but in any case it is the most recent.

As Erich points out, it was not particularly popular, its main problem being woefully underpowered. It was an airframe in search of an engine.

That matches what I've read about this plane. As I understand it, Heinkel revamped the plans in hopes to make use of the jet engines. Of course those engines never materialized so they had to go with what they could get their hands on.

:)

actually no the problems with the engines were conclusive, the unit was over armed and NJG 1 removed two of the cannon in the belly tray by 44. one problem was no rear gun armament as well as room for a third crew member though trials were sought for place one down mid way of the fuselage. also trying to streamline the crate even more, too many variants for a limited operational run of craft., lack of parts, heinkel plant bombed, and on it goes.

Where those theeting problems or was it simply a bad design? And together with the politics did the UHU get enough backing?

If my target was heavies, Do 217N is my choice.

4x 20mm (plus 4x 8mm) front
4x 20mm Schräge Musik
By far the heaviest armed NF to see service.

It was not as fast as the other NF's, but going after heavies it was not a big issue.

Of course when the targets are Mossie path finders and prowling P-61's, it would be a 88G or perhaps 110 (I have doubt about the He 219 performance and capability)

Allied is most likely is Mossie.

Oh, and with the huge formations of night time bombers, I would still pick the 217 over 88.

OH! Yes, a wildcard.
Do-335
This one COULD catch Mossies. Potential, but never used in combat.

Last edited:
interesting not all N's had SM installation provided, my cousin flew one during most of his career on 4./NJG 3 as Staffelkapitän.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back