Which was the best night fighter? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chatting with several 425th nfs pilots it appeared to me that the P-61 was a bit bulky, the AI radar frequently was down, the fighter had enough power and manueverability to take out LW bombers but night fighters was another story as they frequently banked hard and were able to hit the deck. At least in the ETO the ID from the P-61 crews was not the bst either as there were at least 2 RAF a/c shot down by mistake.

The He 219A was lets just say it was hopeless for all the effort put into it, even though the project was axed

The Mossie XXX was the ultimate for the Allies

The Bf 109G was the token a/c for earlier 1943 Wilde Sau missions, the Fw 190A to some extent but too heavy with it's arms package and vertical aerial arrays - Neptun.

the P-38 used in the Pacific was the plain ol day fighter version for night missions.

You are corrected, now do some research...

hey guess what, i did!!. a certain book i found says the P-61 had enogh major poblems to prevent full production. the fuel system, tail unit and flaps all had to be modified.

"the troubles were all due to the fact that there was so much to go wrong; for example there were 229 design changes to the cannon installation alone between early 1942 and 1944"(Aircraft of WW2)

hey guess what, i did!!. a certain book i found says the P-61 had enogh major poblems to prevent full production. the fuel system, tail unit and flaps all had to be modified.

"the troubles were all due to the fact that there was so much to go wrong; for example there were 229 design changes to the cannon installation alone between early 1942 and 1944"(Aircraft of WW2)
The P-61 was a very advanced aircraft for its day and featured many things considered state of the art. Even in service many times the turrets were removed to save weight and in essence just weren't needed. With that said any new aircraft especially one featuring new and innovative features will have problems and continual design changes are a continual event in production aircraft.

In the end the "Black Widow" name of the P-61 wasn't given to it because operational issues.

Erich,

It's interesting seeing different perspectives regarding the P-61. As your interviews with 425th and, I believe, 422d NFS crews shows, they were less than enamored with its performance.

My interviews with 417th NFS guys showed they REALLY liked the Widow.

I wonder if the difference in views was either experience levels - 422/425 were new units introduced directly into the 'big leagues' vs the 414-417th guys who flew the Beau for 18 months or so in North Africa and Med theatres and had a chance to gain experience. This includes the crew chiefs and other ground trades as well as the radar technicians.

Thoughts?

I think in this case Brick the ETO 422/425th had only the P-61 and nothing else to compare, as to MTO units they had Mossies and the Beau, so it could just be simply in their minds................the Widow rules ? !

The P-61 was a very advanced aircraft for its day and featured many things considered state of the art. Even in service many times the turrets were removed to save weight and in essence just weren't needed. With that said any new aircraft especially one featuring new and innovative features will have problems and continual design changes are a continual event in production aircraft.

In the end the "Black Widow" name of the P-61 wasn't given to it because operational issues.

thankyou

I think in this case Brick the ETO 422/425th had only the P-61 and nothing else to compare, as to MTO units they had Mossies and the Beau, so it could just be simply in their minds................the Widow rules ? !

Yep.

I'm thinking that by the time the 12AF units finally got US equipment and there was support - parts, etc - for said equipment, they were just relieved to not be orphans anymore........

Best in my opinion are the Mossie NF.30 and then the Ju-88G.

Both served for all or most of the war and served with great distinction and many other capacities as well.

Both were used effectively, and the crews did like the planes:) .

Heinkel He-219 by far, radar, range, speed, firepower, ejectable seats.

One pre-series aircraft shoot down 5 enemy bombers in his first sortie :shock:

pictues.JPG

CB the He 219 was trouble from the start clear to it's demise, the Ju 88G-6 was superior in almost every way, the arms though the heaviest of any German nf was reduced to 4 2cm weapons by NJG 1 crews in I. and II. gruppe. Ejection
seats did not operate half the time thus the two crewmen were sent into oblivion and glass with broken necks and on it went, most a/c did not have rear warning radar and were Mossie fodder. I won;t alk about the enignes or other bulky matters but I have listed most in other threads on this bird

And now for something completely different....................

During my US Beau research, I came across many listings in the squadron's histories for UFOs, dubbed 'foo fighters.' Other Allied aircrew also saw weird/goofy things over Europe and most were thrown in the foo fighter category.

Does anyone know of German reports of the topic? A search here didn't get any hits.

(No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Just interested in how two sides might differently interpret the same thing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back