Which was the best night fighter? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How can spiral painted prop spinners spoil the aim of a bomber gunner when the fighter is flying at night and couldn't be seen clearly anyway?
I was thinking the same thing.

Unless light is shining right on the aircraft it shouldn't make a difference. I've been in formation with a 172 that had an alternator failure. To save the battery for the landing lights and radios when we arrived at our home airport my buddy shut off the master switch. We kept flying into the night and without nav lights I was barely able to see him when there was say 1000 feet between us. His plane was white and red trim....

Marcel:

Check my reply in your "Plane crashed at Hedrik Ido Ambacht The Netherlands" thread.

Cheers,

Mark

Erich,

I am very interested in learning more about the ejection seats on the He-219.

1) What was the reason for failure?
2) Was it a common problem that was shared by ejection seats of other German planes?
3) Can you provide any sources, especially via internet for further reading?

Thanks in advance.

Also, did the Do-335 which also had ejection seat actually become operational as a nightfighter? I do not believe so, but at another forum someone selected the Do-335 as the best nightfighter.

Also, did the Do-335 which also had ejection seat actually become operational as a nightfighter? I do not believe so, but at another forum someone selected the Do-335 as the best nightfighter.

No it did not. At most the Do 335 became operational only in defense of the factory but it never saw combat.

Probably in the same way carrots would enhance your night vision

I actually read in a book recently that the whole carrot thing is a crock.

Was a propaganda thing staged by the RAF saying their Nightfighters ate lots of carrots.

Australian nightfighter pilot said this in the book called FLAK.

This may also be old news to you all, if so sorry guys,

Carrots contain a high amount of something called beta-carotene, this is converted into Vitamin A (retinal) by our bodies. It is then converted to a molecule called retinal which essential for a protein called rhodopsin to work. Rhodopsin is found in rods in your eyes and it converts light into an electrical gradient.
It's more a case of eating no carrots and not getting any beta-carotene causes night-blindness.

I knew my degree would prove useful somehow :thegraduate: :lol:

Carrots contain a high amount of something called beta-carotene, this is converted into Vitamin A (retinal) by our bodies. It is then converted to a molecule called retinal which essential for a protein called rhodopsin to work. Rhodopsin is found in rods in your eyes and it converts light into an electrical gradient.
It's more a case of eating no carrots and not getting any beta-carotene causes night-blindness.

I knew my degree would prove useful somehow :thegraduate: :lol:

Ah another Biologist. :D

Mossies easily would have performed better than the Bf 110 if the Luftwaffe had them.

I disagree, I think the whole nightfighterconcept in WWII depended a lot on the system and less on fighter performance. I you can't find the bomber, you cannot shoot it down. If you're on his tail, performance doesn't matter, just shoot the bastard. In the LW, nightfighters were guided to their targets by ground radar. The bombers usually never knewe what hit them, so no fancy flying.

Whilst you are right in saying that success in WW2 depeded to a large degree on ground control I believe the LW would have been better served with the Mosquito instead of the 110.

The Mosquito had three almost priceless advantages over the 110.

Range. The Mosquito had it in spades and would have made the aircraft a much better nightfighter for the German Defence

Performance. The LW found it very difficult to shoot down aircraft of the Mosquito's performance. Obviously the Mosquito had the performance to shoot down any intruder.

Independence. The Mosquito had the performance, range and equipment to operate against German N/F over Germany away from ground control enabling them to 'hunt' the 'hunters'. Can you imagine the damage that could have been done if the LW aircraft like this operating over the UK on a regular basis, when bombers were taking off, forming up and returning to base?

Well, the LW started doing these intruder missions back in 1941, using Ju88's. Unfortunately Hitler didn't like it and told the Nightfighter command to stop this. IMHO one of the greatest blunders of the war!
As far as I know, in Germany the nightfighters were controlled by a system called "Himmelbett". Although this was a nice system, it had some serious backdraws in that it could only controle one plane in one sector and this plane could also not been taken over by other sectors. So long range didn't do much good. I still think Mossies wouldn't have made a difference.

Did night fighter pilots rate speed and altitude as especially desirable in a night fighting aircraft ? Before he died I was fortunate to be able to work as unpaid secretary to Wing Commander John "Catseyes" Cunningham and he always rated other factors as being more more important. Chiefly amongst these I would rate good radar installation, effective weaponry, maneouvreability and crew comfort. A bloody good navigator/radar operator ( and he had one in Flt.Lt. Rawnsley ) also is of critical importance. Sure height and altitude cannot be ignored but, other than early in the war, most aircraft used as nightfighters had both of these factors in sufficiency.

When you think about it, unless the nughtfighter can find its target at a long enough range to be able to maneuver for a shot, everything else becomes secondary.

The radar system and a good radar operator is the most important.

When you think about it, unless the nughtfighter can find its target at a long enough range to be able to maneuver for a shot, everything else becomes secondary.

The radar system and a good radar operator is the most important.

Exactly, so that's why I think either mossie, Bf110, Blackwidow or Ju88, doesn't matter as long as the radar and the ground system is good.

Speed would be important since all attacks at night would be from astern so yo have to have spped to overtake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back