Nuclear test aircraft that survived the blast

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thewritingwriter89

Airman 1st Class
Nov 5, 2008
In a small space capsule
My dad is really into the history of the nuclear test sites, where they experimented with all different sizes of atomic bombs. They also used many WWII era aircraft to research the effect of radiation and shockwaves. Does anyone know what happened to these airplanes? Were they scrapped, sold, stored? For example, my dad read about a B-17 that was unharmed and was later sold to a museum. Are there any other remaining "former test aircraft". Any information or good links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That B-17 is "909" from the Collings Foundation. From WIX:

History:
Delivered to USAAF as 44-83575, 19??
- Used in atomic tests, Yucca Flats, NV, 1952.
- Abandoned at test site, 1952-1965.
Valley Scrap Metal, Phoenix, AZ, Apr. 1965.
Abe Sellards/Aircraft Specialties Inc, Mesa, AZ, May 5, 1965-1981
- Registered as N93012.
- Rebuilt test site NV, ferried to Mesa on May 14, 1965.
- Stored at Mesa, stripped for spares, 1969-1977.
- Converted to tanker, Mesa, AZ, 1977.
- Flew at tanker #99 "Lady of Yukka".
Globe Air Inc., Mesa, AZ, Apr. 1981-1985.
- Flew as tanker #99.
Bob Collings/Collings Foundation, Stowe, MA, Oct. 1985-2004.
- Delivered from Mesa, AZ to Kissimee, FL Jan. 1, 1987.
-- Restored to military configuration.
- Crashed while landing, Beaver County, PA, Jan. 28, 1987.
- Repaired, Delivered to Kissimee for full restoration, Jan. 1991.
- Flown as 231909/Nine-O-Nine/A-R.
- Undercarraige collapse, Sioux City, IA (repaired, July 10, 1995.

My dad is really into the history of the nuclear test sites, where they experimented with all different sizes of atomic bombs. They also used many WWII era aircraft to research the effect of radiation and shockwaves. Does anyone know what happened to these airplanes? Were they scrapped, sold, stored? For example, my dad read about a B-17 that was unharmed and was later sold to a museum. Are there any other remaining "former test aircraft". Any information or good links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
songwriter89, the B 29 that dropped the second A Bomb can be found on the net by looking it up by the plane's nick name, "Bock'sCar."My father took some friends of mine and me through it when I was still in Junior High School.It was stored at the time at DMAFB in Tucson, AZ.Dad brought along a Giger Counter. The plane still set the GC singing. Hope this helps.

One of Lockheed's XF-90 prototypes was used as such: Lockheed XF-90
Work on the XF-90 was formally terminated in September of 1950. In 1952, the second XF-90A (46-688 ) was deliberately destroyed on the ground during a nuclear test at Frenchman's Flat in Nevada. The first XF-90A (46-687) was shipped to the NACA laboratory in Cleveland, Ohio in 1953. By this time it was no longer flyable, and was used for structural testing, exploring the limits of the extremely robust structure of the design. Presumably it was tested to destruction. In 2003, the hulk of the second XF-90 (46-688 ) was recovered by the USAF Museum from the Nevada nuclear test site. I assume that it will eventually be restored and put on display.

And, Lockheed XF-90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The other (46-688 ) survived three atomic blasts at the Frenchman's Flat Nevada Test Site in 1952. The XF-90 lived on in popular culture as the the aircraft of the "Blackhawks" comic book.

In 2003, the heavily damaged hulk of the second XF-90A (46-688 ) was recovered from the Nevada test site and moved to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. It is currently undergoing minor restoration in one of the Museum's restoration facility hangars. Its wings have been removed, and its nose is mangled from the nuclear blasts. During the decontamination process, all the rivets had to be removed to free the plane from radioactive sand. At present, the museum plans to display the plane in its damaged, mostly unrestored condition, to demonstrate the effects of nuclear weaponry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back