Oboe for the 8th AF (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wuzak

Captain
Jun 5, 2011
Hobart Tasmania
When weather reduced the operations rate for the USAAF they adopted the H2S radar system (and the "improved" H2X) to enable blind bombing through overcast skies. These systems were used by a pathfinding force.
I posted this at another forum, thought I might try it here:

Did the 8th AF ever contemplate adopting Oboe for target marking?

Obviously there are severe risks for operating Oboe during the day, since the marking aircraft has to fly a predictable route for some time. This was the same for Oboe Mosquitoes at night, but they held a performance advantage over the night fighters sent to shoot them down. No so the case for USAAF bombers during the day.

Oboe also has a limited range - limited by the altitude at which the aircraft could fly - and the accuracy lessened with range.

A repeata system was devised for Oboe, which would have extended its range. But I am unsure as to when this system came to testing, and I'm sure it never went operational.

On the plus side, weather that prevented visual bomb aiming often also prevented the Luftwaffe fighter force from flying. And when they did fly they lost as many aircraft to operational accidents as to enemy aircraft.

So, could Oboe have proved to be useful to the 8th AF in Europe?

In the 8th AF report on bombing accuracy there is a very brief mention:

Oboe was used on a few missions during the winter of 1943-1944

Richard G Davis says the first USAAF Oboe mission was in October 1943, but gives no further details (afaik).

The USAAF did use Gee H and Micro H more extensively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back