Oldest Bomber in WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
We got into an interesting discussion over in the IL-2 lounge about the Soviet TB-3. That got me to wondering if it might have been the oldest bomber deployed during the war.

I know that some of the bombers used had thier roots reaching back a ways but thier designs had evolved to a certain degree.

As far as unchanged designs go, was there a bomber that was older than the TB-3 used in action? The Tupolev TB-3 was designed in the late 20's and first flew on 22 December 1930.

I checked to see if there was a thread covering this topic already, and came up empty-handed...if there is one already, let me know!

Attachments

• TB-3.jpg
    TB-3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 183
The Chinese flew them as well (already got the kit for the next GB). Though the service date only beat the B-10 being flown by the Dutch by 6 months.

Last edited:
Apparently not very well.

According to Tupolev The Man and his Aircraft page 44, It did well against Japanese fighters during a few clashes that they had in 38, but a year later the fighters were winning most of the fights. One of the final "combat" missions it had was a pair carried 2 x I-16's fighters each armed with a 250kg bomb to destroy a railroad bridge at Chernovodsk which they did.

The Chinese got 6 of them from the Soviets, but I've yet to find any info on them.

We got into an interesting discussion over in the IL-2 lounge about the Soviet TB-3. That got me to wondering if it might have been the oldest bomber deployed during the war.

I know that some of the bombers used had thier roots reaching back a ways but thier designs had evolved to a certain degree.

As far as unchanged designs go, was there a bomber that was older than the TB-3 used in action? The Tupolev TB-3 was designed in the late 20's and first flew on 22 December 1930.

I checked to see if there was a thread covering this topic already, and came up empty-handed...if there is one already, let me know!

Don't know if it counts as many consider it a reconnaissance a/c, but the Fokker C.V was a light bomber and was used as such. First deployment dates back to 1926.

Breguet 19 in my opinion. First flown 1923, entered squadron service in 1924, final French delivery in 1932, but continued to be built under licence in Yugoslavia until 1938. Remained in service with the Yugolslavs until 1941, then surivors were transferred to the Croat air force. In 1945, two were captured by Tito and used in the final offensives.

The Turks also used quite a number of them, and they remained in service until 1945 as well.

The Portuguese used a bomber version of the Ju52, dating back to 1931 as I recall.

The Persians used Hawker Hinds and Audaxes which were pretty ancient and then of course there was the Vickwer Vildebeestes used against the italians in Abyssinnia

The Persians used Hawker Hinds and Audaxes which were pretty ancient

you've more info on use of iranian air force in war? afaik i've no info on iranian air force in the war? or just talking of iraqi air force?

you've more info on use of iranian air force in war? afaik i've no info on iranian air force in the war? or just talking of iraqi air force?

The aircraft were on strength at the time of invasion but offered no resistance to the invading allied forces .

Here are a couple of links to sites that I know of that may be of some assistance

The Armed Forces of WWII ( Near East ).

List of Iranian Air Force aircraft: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

I also used Ellis's Statistical Reference to get some idea of what was available

Finnish Air Force used Fokker C. V, introduced 1924, and Blackburn Ripon, first flight 1926

300px-Fokker_CV-E_Finland.jpg

180px-Blackburn_Ripon_IIF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back