Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

P-40 vs. ME-109

Aviation Discuss P-40 vs. ME-109 in the World War II - Aviation forums; Sort of another "Which would win that fight" question. I just realized that I've never seen anything written on how ...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile P-40 vs. ME-109

Sort of another "Which would win that fight" question.

I just realized that I've never seen anything written on how these two planes stacked up against each other.

I know they had to have met at one point or another during the war.

Anyone got any kind of kill ratio's they want to post, or pit performance figures against these two?

Seems like an almost even match, to me, if the correct varients were pitted against each other.

Elvis

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Elvis,

>Seems like an almost even match, to me, if the correct varients were pitted against each other.

Hm, I remember reading a comment by a P-40 pilot who flew the type over North Africa - he said something like "constant vigilance and mutual support were our only hope".

A clean P-40N-1 at 3000 rpm, 57" Hg boost, might be able to compete with a Me 109G-2 below 3000 m speed-wise, but its higher weight would mean that it still would be disadvantaged in every aspect concerning energy, i. e. climbs and sustained turns.

Maybe you are thinking of the P-40F, but the data I have seen indicate that even at +10.36 lbs/sqin, 3000 rpm (choice of units shows this is from a Commonwealth test , it would not be competitive against a Messerschmitt Me 109 variant later than the Emil. Though it had a two-speed supercharger, the early Packard Merlins were not quite as powerful as their Rolls-Royce powerplants yet.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple good books on this topic are "Kittyhawks Over the Sands" and "Kittyhawk Pilot" both by Michel Lavigne and James "Stocky" Edwards. Edwards was a Canadian ace with 20 or so kills in the Desert Airforce.
    Kittyhawk Pilot , Edwards biography, was published in 83 so it would be hard to find but copies of Kittyhawks Over the Sands are still available. Both books are excellant with lots of first hand accounts and cross referencing of kills /claims.

Slaterat

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Ok, so it sounds like this is almost a lost cause.

Thanks for your comments.
    Much appreciated.

--------------

Slaterat,

Thanks for the recommendations.
    I'll look for those at the local bookstore.

Elvis

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that Marseille(may have spelled that wrong) enjoyed a lot of success against P40s in N Africa. If I remember correctly the day he allegedly had 17 kills several were P40s. Other LW pilots probably had good success against P40s also.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other area the Bf109 met P40's was on the Eastern Front.
    Here's an excellent link about Lend-lease planes in Russian service. The interview iwth Kulakov is particularly good, he flew P40's against 109s. There is another online interview story of a Russian P40 pilot but I can't remember where it is.

Articles

Those interviews of Russian pilots I find very enlightening.

Theres some good stuff about P39s in there as well.

Claidemore
    The trouble with most people isn't what they don't know....it's what they do know that simply isn't so.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Australia's 3 Squadron operated Kittyhawks and Tomahawks with success in North Africa, but I don't know the final Bf 109 tally...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    James Stocky Edwards, RCAF, flew Kittyhawks with 260 Squadron RAF in North Africa. He got 13 or 14 kills with the P-40 before switching to Spitfires with 417 Squadron. He's credited with shooting down 51 kill ace Otto Schulz, and it's also possible that he shot Marseille down.

Edwards was on the deck, running for home, came over a hill and saw a 109 and put a burst into it but didn't stick around to see what happened. A day or two later they heard Marseille had gone down where Eddy had shot at the 109. The story was Marseilles engine quit, he bailed out and was killed. Edwards was alone at the time, nobody saw him shoot, so he was never credited and Luftwaffe maintains it was a flying accident.

Last I heard Edwards was still live and kickin near Vancouver B.C.

Here's his take on P-40s.

On the P40 series:

"... not an easy aircraft to fly properly and as a result, we lost a good number of pilots while training."
    "In the first few months after conversion to Kittyhawks, all the squadrons lost heavily to the 109s."
    "I found that one had to have a very strong right arm to fly the Kittyhawk I during most maneuvers. In dive-bombing, the aircraft would pick up speed very quickly in the dive, but it had a great tendency to roll to the right. One could trim this out reasonably well with the left hand, but even then when one pulled up, it wanted to roll to the left quite viloently. So I learned to trim about halfway in the dive and hold the control stick central by bracing my right elbow against my right leg and the right wall of the cockpit. It was also distracting to have one's left hand on the trim all the time, when it should be on the throttle."
    "In a dogfight, with violent changes of speed, it was all one could do to fly the aircraft."
    "Kittyhawk II... was a definite improvement in lateral stability over the Kitty I."
    "Eventually, with the Mk IIIs, the Kittyhawk became a good, stable fighting aircraft, although it never did have enough power or climbing ability compared to the 109s or the Spitfire."
    a Utube link with some RAF,RAAF, RNZAF P40 footage.

Last edited by claidemore; 03-15-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    The trouble with most people isn't what they don't know....it's what they do know that simply isn't so.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Australia's 3 Squadron operated Kittyhawks and Tomahawks with success in North Africa, but I don't know the final Bf 109 tally...
    From the excellent book "Desert Warriors, Australian P-40 pilots at war in the Middle East and North Africa 1941-1943" By Russell Brown. I added the confirmed 109 kills up as 49 plus a half kill shared with another squadron for 3 sqn RAAF.
    For 450 sqn RAAF, I got 26 109's destroyed out of 49 enemy a/c destroyed by this squadron in North Africa.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 03-15-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    From the excellent book "Desert Warriors, Australian P-40 pilots at war in the Middle East and North Africa 1941-1943" By Russell Brown. I added the confirmed 109 kills up as 49.75 for 3 sqn RAAF.
    For 450 sqn RAAF, I got 26 109's destroyed out of 49 enemy a/c destroyed by this squadron in North Africa.
    Well we knocked quite a few 109's out of the sky! Thanks Wildcat! Been away for a while mate? Enjoying the heat? What weather you get, we get in a day or so

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Well we knocked quite a few 109's out of the sky! Thanks Wildcat! Been away for a while mate? Enjoying the heat? What weather you get, we get in a day or so
    Nah, just been working alot lately. I work outdoors so this heat is killing me!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by claidemore View Post
    James Stocky
    Last I heard Edwards was still live and kickin near Vancouver B.C.

Here's his take on P-40s.

a Utube link with some RAF,RAAF, RNZAF P40 footage.

He along with the surviving AVG pilots and any other P40 jocks they can scrounge will be at Geneseo this year along with 11 p40'S this year Vintage Wings is bringing a P40 in with his markings from 260 Sqn .
    1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum in Geneseo, NY
    Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hey, maybe not such a "lost cause" after all!
    Thanks to everyone involved for the comments thus far.

----------------------------------

Graeme,

I've got a program on VHS that I taped off the TV back in the mid 90's, concerning a P-40 that was found in Canada in the 80's (IIRC) and restored by an Aussie named Cole Palen (sp?).
    The show delved into the restoration of the plane, and had a good bit about the P-40's role with the RNZAF and RAAF during the war.
    Part of the program talked a little about 109's as well, and Bobby Gibbes is interviewed, at the unveiling of a (then) newly restored 109.
    Wish I had an extra VCR, I'd make a copy for you.
    Maybe one of these days, I'll have someone dupe all these movies I taped on VHS back in the 90's, down to DVD and have an extra one made for you (...and kool kitty, too).

Elvis

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...and you can say what you want about the Allison, but man, .

Elvis
    Last edited by Elvis; 03-16-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I've got a program on VHS that I taped off the TV back in the mid 90's, concerning a P-40 that was found in Canada in the 80's (IIRC) and restored by an Aussie named Cole Palen (sp?).
    The show delved into the restoration of the plane, and had a good bit about the P-40's role with the RNZAF and RAAF during the war.
    Part of the program talked a little about 109's as well, and Bobby Gibbes is interviewed, at the unveiling of a (then) newly restored 109.
    Wish I had an extra VCR, I'd make a copy for you.
    Maybe one of these days, I'll have someone dupe all these movies I taped on VHS back in the 90's, down to DVD and have an extra one made for you (...and kool kitty, too).
    Elvis

G'day Elvis, that program is available on DVD, probably be able to get it through EZYDVD, that's were I got my copy from. That Kittyhawk was owed by Col Pay, who was unfortunately killed a few months back. His latest P-40 is painted as one flown by Bobby Gibbes, who also passed away a few months back aswell.
    The book I mentioned above shows 16 Australians achieved ace status whilst flying P-40's in the desert. Of these Andrew Barr is credited with 5 109 kills (from a total of 12 victories), Bobby Gibbs with 5 + 1 shared 109 kills (1 not officially recorded) and Clive Caldwell with 10 109 kills (from his total of 27+3 shared).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-40 vs. ME-109-3sqnraaf2.jpg   P-40 vs. ME-109-3sqnraaf3.jpg  

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast