P 51 D serial numbers question? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

4trade

Airman
Feb 25, 2012
Finland
Does anybody here know what serial number (up) factory start to add fin fillet for P 51 D?

Angels Playmate (44-13693) is shown with fin fillet, and i presume that it is add in field...because Courser II (44-13706)is shown without that fin fillet in a book: Mustang Aces of the Ninth Fifteenth Air Forces the RAF

I find out that Angels Playmate was P 51D 5 NA, and that was without dorsal fin at factory. Factory start to add dorsal fin for -10 NA and newer models....just i really like to know what serial numbers start to be -10 NA or newer planes

Keep in mind that serial numbers went in production batches, so where one production run ends of say, P-51D-5, the next serial number could be a B-24 or something else. But the first run of P-51D-10 were as follows:
44-14053 through 44-14852
North American P-51D-10-NA Mustang
c/n 109-27686 through 109-28485.

Most likely, any P-51s with higher serials than that would be -10-NAs or higher revisions.

Thank you! This kind of information is hard to find for me....and it gives some great angle of view for those tail numbers/ models of planes. I am big fan of those early P 51D without dorsal fin. Now when i watch those old pictures in a net or book, i see much more those early ones,with fins add at field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back