RAF Bomber Command Diary... Jan 1945...... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the 109's would of been from a test school. 1./NJGr 10 was based out of Werneuchen to protect Berlin and most of NJG 11 in Janaury 45 were also in eastern Germany doing the same thing. II./NJG 11 was at Jüterbog

so at the present time I have no idea right now
; the hunt continues ............

apparently the guns hit him as he came over the perimeter track in bound at about 200ft in a dive-all the germans said was '8 guns'- I dont suppose that he was too popular at that point, being picked up by personnel from the base he had just straffed!!!
Reading more-sorry for me you have no idea how real this is being his son
I have just come across the last flight which reads
OPN; Intruder, Stendal A/F, not yet returned
the mossie number was YPC and it was a VI fitted with A.S.H-I think it made the mossie look 'bottlenosed' like a dolphin, so my father said

evening all-
The german beaurocracy of record keeping was exceptional-however althougth much (many records) was destroyed at the end of the war -did parts of, or indeed any, of the luftwaffe records surive?
Or did they just get moved piecemeal to russia-along with everything else that could be taken?
What data survives?-or is what information there is has been compiled painstakingly after the war?

I am waiting to see what is avialble, and no none of it went to Russia. It was vaporized in bombings or destroyed at Berlin in the last days. NAHRA has limtied reports but some are quite good and naother researcher is sending me a report out of a book, most likely the Confound andestroy that you already have....

a note from a fellow freind and research historian

a Luftgau report exists for the loss of this Mossie at NARA.

The ref is 151225/66 and the crash location/time is given as:

Beckedorff, 3km SW Hermannsburg (EA4) @ 21.30 hrs.

Both the Luftgau report and the RAF Operational Research Section record the cause of loss for Mossie RS507 as "hit by airfield flak defences of Fassberg" / "Flak" respectively.

There is no correlation between the loss of this Mosquito and Mangelsdorf's claim - the latter have occurred 45 minutes later and some considerable distance further south.

The simple fact is that no Bomber Command Mossie loss exists that matches Mangelsdorf's claim and no Bomber Command Mosquito returned home with damage inflicted by a night fighter (or flak for that matter).

I don't know who originally suggested that the two incidents were linked but, as is usual in 1945 at least, closer inspect of Mossie claims and losses shows that in most cases, there is no correlation...

well according to him there is no correlation but can tell you for a fact that night fighter crews were often mislead by their own observations as to just where they might have engaged enemy a/c. Just my two centws for now

strangely one of the 'true greats' for me, as far as being a pilot in the same boat as my dad is johannes steinhoff - admittedly the office politics were a bit more dangerous (books called 'last chance' and 'messerschmits over sicily' I think)-he, amongst others, upset fatty and hitler

there is another mossie pilot i want to trace-from second TAF dont know him or his name-but he is the reason my father told the AVM 'Gongs!? I **** gongs!'
( and refused)-like Steinhoff he was still having plastic surgery 20 years after the war
Do you want me to see if I can find a timeline for this guy of narrow down some possible dates
(I actually have the 3 volumes on 2nd TAF but got them shipped to dad's house-he knew (sir) basil embrey, and 2nd taf was pretty much his baby I think

can one get hold of these reports-or a copy of, from NARA?

weird, wonder why that posted like that ? oh well. Hotter give me some time and I may ask for them myself or dig deeper into the kdness of my freidn to send me a scan(s) of the appropriate documents and will pass on free of charge to you.

yes check in the volumes of the 2nd TAF for the chap for dates and we can certainly give it a go. since you have the regarded 2nd TAF volume 3 I may send you an inquiry on a couple of Mossie intruder missions during 1945 if that would be fine with you :?:

Erich

it would be a pleasure-although i have to pick it up from mum-but if you have the info i will ask my brother who is up there this week-it would be good for me to do something for you

additionally i have some tapes that have to be rerecorded and engineered-i went to see squadron leader dickie martin a week and a half ago(originally battle of britain 73 squadron)-dads best friend-who sadly is dying of another similar cancer
He met dad while they were at preston and dad was 'president of the courts of enquiry' (9 group i think) -we now know this as air accident investigation

this was his first stint-his second was at fighter command after hed been returned to the uk from germany at stanmore (middx)

If one has to pay for the administration or a release fee of these documents from the archive let me know-for me its a holy grail, kind of dad thing, I guess

Gentlemen,

I am new today and I just saw this thread.

Does anyone have a copy of the Bomber Command Operational Diary set?

I just checked the official web site from the MoD and for 39 through the end of 41 its pretty skimpy to non-existant.

Thanks in advance,

konev

konev said:
Gentlemen,

I am new today and I just saw this thread.

Does anyone have a copy of the Bomber Command Operational Diary set?

I just checked the official web site from the MoD and for 39 through the end of 41 its pretty skimpy to non-existant.

Thanks in advance,

konev

Is this what you are looking for?

Abebooks Search Results - bomber command operational diary

hi erich,
sorry many nights in a hotel room-no computer-what a waste.
Right i have all 3 volumes of 2nd TAf with me and british airfields volumes 1-10-so now i feel equipped to answer some 2nd TAF questions, fire away
regards

Erich,
and for those of you that are interested click on to the 'Times Online' and go to the obituaries page-somewhat rearranged by the paper, but the outline is there.

....One of the Lancasters which crashed in Holland was piloted by Group Captain AC Evans-Evans, DFC, the station commander at Coningsby, flying a No 83 Squadron aircraft. The Lancaster was shot down by a German fighter and crashed near Eindhoven. One of the gunners was the only survivor.

Wow, thanks for sharing that! G/C Evans-Evans was CO of RAF's #34 OTU at Pennfield Ridge, NB Canada during the BCATP in Canada. He was CO until sometime in mid-1943 and then replaced by G/C A. Leach. I was wondering what happened to him...

7/8 January 1945
645 Lancasters and 9 Mosquitos of Nos 1, 3, 5, 6 and 8 Groups to Munich. 11 Lancasters lost and 4 more crashed in France. Bomber Command claimed a successful area raid, with the central and some industrial areas being severely damaged. This was the last major raid on Munich.

54 Mosquitos to Hannover, 18 to Nuremberg and 12 to Hanau, 39 RCM sorties, 45 Mosquito patrols. 2 Mosquitos lost - 1 from the Hannover raid and a No 100 Group aircraft.

The last Bomber Command Wellington operation was flown on this night by Flying Officer BH Stevens and his crew of No 192 Squadron. The Wellington was on an RCM flight over the North Sea 'to investigate enemy beam signals connected with the launching of flying bombs and believed to emanate from marker buoys'. Bad weather over the North Sea caused the flight to be curtailed but the Wellington landed safely, the last of more than 47,000 sorties carried out by this type of aircraft in Bomber Command.

Total effort for the night: 822 sorties, 17 aircraft (2.1 per cent) lost.
1668631489803.png

1668631500372.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back