Re-engined planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Red cross for me Tomo
not sure how comfortable I'd feel over all those watery expanses with a Napier Sabre in front of me...

Anyone for engine failure during catapult launch? :)

I was under impression that Napier Sabre had it's bugs sorted out by 2nd half of 1943 - Wiki says this in article about development of Sabre:
In December 1942 the company was purchased by English Electric, who immediately ended the supercharger project and focused the entire company on the production problems. The situation quickly improved.

The Bf-109F-4 forced to land after being shot in wings and aft fuselage, so Soviets decided to give new life to the front part - hence the Yak-1 what-if, with some German hardware on board. Hopefully just under 650km/h - 400 mph - emulating the 109F-4 performance.

Attachments

• dbYak1.GIF
    dbYak1.GIF
    17.1 KB · Views: 292
How it might've looked: Avia-135 from Bulgarian air force, with Twin Wasp from B-24 that crash landed. 1200 HP vs. 860 as in original, for comfortable 600 km/h, two MG-151/20 partly buried in wings.

Attachments

• twinWaspAvia.GIF
    twinWaspAvia.GIF
    13 KB · Views: 292
How about a B17 with a little help??
b17_1.jpg

Last edited:
We all know that the Me109 Z was on the drawing board. Little known is that Republic was going the same way
p47_front_1.jpg
p47_above.jpg

Last edited:
In the beginning of 1944 it became clear that there had to be an early warning system againt the low flying russian attack planes, wich caused great losses to the Wehrmacht.

It had to have endurance given the enormous front that had to be protected. Because the Fieseler Fi156 was in quantity on the Ost front plans were made to equip these with a FuG 212.

Fi 156 FuG 212.jpg

Last edited:
After encounters with the latest Allied fighters it became clear that the Messerspit was the superiour fighter on all fronts.
However the call for better cockpit view was noted.
Mid 1944 the first Messerstang as they were later to be become known left the assembly lines.
m109 hoodmustang.jpg

Last edited:
The fictional Fulmar III (1943) with Bristol Hercules VI (1650 HP) - hopefully enough to slung a torpedo, or to reach 480-500 km/h clean.

Attachments

• HerculesFulmar.GIF
    HerculesFulmar.GIF
    6.8 KB · Views: 273
Hey, Snautzer, the thread is about re-engined planes (= planes with engines different than ones really mounted).

Yep, a mean looking bugger :)
What engines (seems like DB-600) are those? The side view lacks the radiators, btw.

How might have looked Ki-61 with front end of an captured P-40 and clipped wings, HMGs relocated in wings. Perhaps 600-630 km/h - depending on Allison - and comparable with Hellcat Spit Mk.V.

Attachments

• allisonHien.GIF
    allisonHien.GIF
    12.8 KB · Views: 266
The unarmed heavy bomber for RAF - Lanc with R-2800, turbocharged of course. Outpacing anything Germans were fielding.

Attachments

• 2800lancaster.PNG
    2800lancaster.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 259
What should be true 'schnellbomber': Ju-88, no guns, 1 crew member less, Argus engine (acting as supercharger for Jumos) between pilot's place and bomb bay. Perhaps emulating performance of real Do-217P in 1940?

Attachments

• argus88.JPG
    argus88.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
As a schnellbomer, the Ju-88 prototype, which was a very different looking aircraft, was probably closer to what was later achieved with the Mosquito. This prototype with more power might perhaps work?

ju88v1.jpg

Ju88V3-1.jpg

Yes, as I know RLM kept adding requirements (= weight and drag) eventually making it slower then it should've been. More HP would help it, but Germans had nothing 'classic' to offer. One of reasons I've added the Argus - the Jumos (ones with presssurized cooling system, available from 2nd half of 1940) would develop the full power even above 30 kft. Later replacing them with BMW 801 - those would rock :)

What are the net benefits
of using a third powerplant to act as a supercharger for the two existing units?
I can't see the weight of even two supercharger assemblies approaching the weight of a powerplant and what effect will the third unit be having on fuel consumption/range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back