Rear-Engine Pusher Fighter? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
Were there any?
I'm thinking a layout more like a jet aircraft, with the engine in the rear and the cockpit more forward.
Cooling could be with a P-51 type radiator scoop.

The only one I know of is the Do335 and that was toward the end of the war with only about 20 having been delivered to combat units and it had a front puller engine in addition to the rear pusher.
others here may know of more

Attachments

• Do335-04-px800.jpg
    Do335-04-px800.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 302
Dornier produced several tandem engine seaplanes so it's no surprise they chose a similiar arrangement when RLM finally agreed to fund the Do-335.

Does Saab have a history of producing rear engine aircraft?

Most experimented with them.
America had the XP-54, 55 and 56, by Vultee, Curtiss, and Northrop. Japan had the Kyushu J7W. Italy had the Ambrosini SS.4. But Sweden is the only country that put a pusher fighter aircraft into service in the WW2 era. They later converted the same design to jet power.

Saab 21 looks good. But how does a pilot bail out with a blender churning behind him?

I hope the Saab had an ejection seat or the pilot was in for the chop.

Some of the pusher planes had schemes to jettison the prop before the pilot bailed out. I may be wrong but I believe the XP-56 had two turns of "det cord" around the reduction gear case on the engine to 'ensure' propeller separation. ;)

The pusher layout seems to permit concentrated firepower in the nose.

Fokker%20D23%20in%20flight.jpg

How about the Fokker D.XXIII...not strictly a pusher fighter but still an interesting and obscure find imho. One prototype flew prior to The Netherland being overrun by the Germans 1940.

Last edited:
Plane of such an layout with 2 x Jumo 210 or with two Kestrels would've been interesting addition for many airforces of pre/early WW2. The scaled up version with Merlin/DB601-603/Allison/Klimov makes a potent warbird.

Or replace front engine with 4 x 20mm (or a pair of 37/40mm), and rear engine with something around 1500HP, give or take 200 HP. Okay, we end up at Saab 21 :)

As far as the two-engined bird, I wonder if that could develop into the night fighter you queried in another thread.

As far as the two-engined bird, I wonder if that could develop into the night fighter you queried in another thread.

Not sure what you mean....

But, not intentionally no, but by request I could take it into that direction if it suits you

Last edited:
Front engine fighter aircraft would receive 1,500+ hp engines at the same time. How would a rear engine fighter stack up compared to the Fw-190, F4U, Spitfire IX, Me-109G6 etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back