Reno 2014 News

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is nowhere NEAR a front runner and the engine sounds the same at 140" as it does at 120" if the rpm is the same ... and it IS a constant-speed prop. Neither Strega nor Voodoo run full power for the entire 8 laps or they wouldn't MAKE it for 8 laps. The Merlins get heat-soaked. Thom isn't flying a Merlin and isn't making anywhere NEAR the horsepower that both Strega and Voodoo make, so he isn't absorbing the same heat ... and we can't see his manifold pressure gauge either. Go look at the RARA website and look at the race lap speeds for each lap for the winners and seconds place guys.

The heat soak of which you speak is undoubtedly because the cooling systems used were designed for much less hp. When used in ager in WW2 the cooling system could only keep up with WEP for a few minutes. No doubt that using spray bars helps a little, but the system is still inadequate for the power they are using.

Rare Bear, of course, uses a total loss liquid cooling system - the only way it could cope with elevated hp figures as well.

I've seen Shockwave up close and it's impressive.

I belive the wings or parts of them are from a T-2 Buckeye coupled with Sea Fury outer panels, while the fuselage is a custom one-off. Knowing some of the original designers, I think they have a good shot at LEAST at a new world speed record.

Edit: Actually, the makeup of the wings is revealed on the website, as are the designers. At least Pete Law is still alive and kicking.

Good luck Team Shockwave! Go for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back