Russian Doras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Going through some of my books today and found a photo of a line up of Fw 190Ds with Russian markings. (FW 190: Workhorse of the Luftwaffe by US National Air Space Museum, Smithsonian Press 1989 on page 60).

Anybody know the story about this and were they used against the Luftwaffe?

I've found the pics in a AJ-Press "Modelmania" serie nr.7 about D-9.These Doras were captured in Malbork( the German name - Marienburg) Poland.There is also stated that the Russians captured about a dozen of these and then they probably were serving in The Baltic Fleet aviation.One of them W.nr. 210251 was sent to NIIVVS for testing.Unfortunately that's all.

Going through some of my books today and found a photo of a line up of Fw 190Ds with Russian markings. (FW 190: Workhorse of the Luftwaffe by US National Air Space Museum, Smithsonian Press 1989 on page 60).

Anybody know the story about this and were they used against the Luftwaffe?

As far as know (we discussed it on some site) the photos were made on a airfield of a research organization (I don't remember exact name of "NII" - "scientific research institute"). Captured Dora's most likely were just on trails after the end of war, because of nobody managed to find notes that they were in the list of any regular airwing, and there are some afterwar statements on after-war trails with the results.
In USSR officially used only captured transport, some train and some recon german aircrafts (in which role were used several bobers included) according to documents.
If you need more detailed and definite info I will try to check it out .

Hi Njaco I will check out a couple of sources and get back to you, if tomorrowis a nice sunny day here I will take a couple of shots of my Russian Dora and post them for you.

Thanks guys. It just seemed strange a Dora in Russian markings. The caption made it seem they were captured and then used against the Luftwaffe which was weird to me since they entered the war so late. Thanks.

Njaco, here are a couple of shots as promised.

Attachments

• Fw190D-9 Russian markings_7453.JPG
    Fw190D-9 Russian markings_7453.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Fw190D-9 Russian Marking 210251_7462.JPG
    Fw190D-9 Russian Marking 210251_7462.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 240
Don't worry Wayne,you know Njaco for sure.:lol:

BTW The model is en excellent example of your mastering. ( Is the expression right?):)

Njaco here is a scan of the test details for 210251 (werk Nummer)
The data comes from a japanese publication, Modellers Eye Fw190D-9.
This was the only D-9 tested, also aside shot of 210251.

Attachments

• Russian D9 Data_a.JPG
    Russian D9 Data_a.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 406
  • Red Stars2b.jpg
    Red Stars2b.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 398
I know of at least 2-3 line up photos of "Russian" Doras captured at wars end, they were never brought up and used against the LW as that is plain bogus.

Also in either volume 1 or 2 of JaPo's huge Dora books they should be covered and may be as well in the EE's volume 1 or 2. the first volume I have found will be on my doorstep on the morrow. I will do a personal write up of that in a different new thread. EE's effort will be more on the a/c and pilots/bio's than the tech which is in JaPo's work(s)

and it is interesting to note via Waynes post that on axishistory forum that there is a multipage thread on the Yak 9 and I have been in conversation with one chap from Slovenia who claims the Yak 9 still was above the Dora in all capabilities..........NOT according to LW pilots which always dove down on all Soviet types and blew them away as the Soviet types could not climb, or power up on the flat nor the turn to get away. the Yak as I pointed out to him as well as Mig's were continually flying at mid altitude something the Dora was not suited for. As we can see by Waynes posted article the same application through after war testing is quite true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back