SAAF Foggia, Italy 1944 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well I just wanted to find out some information about my roots. Both the origin of my surname, which as you said is surely of German origin, and somehow contact these distant relatives. Unfortunately the only piece of information I have is this pilot (or I believe it was a pilot) during WWII. Anyway I have started looking at some records and search on websites, like the Ellis Island one. But till now, no luck in finding some names or informations which could match with what I know of the story.
If you think you could have some interesting information please let me know. Thank you very much.

Anthony , i just typed in a lengthy message to you and the flurry thing didn't go through ! . However i hope you are well .You are in Italy i'm in Australia so we are both at a disadvantage . Begin at the beginning , with your birth , going back through each generation (yes i know i'm stating the obvious) ask family members , jog their memories .Its fascinating where this surname Richter came from , a romantic traveller ? sailor ? and in the South of Italy , the north would make morre sense , wishing you well , kind regards Colleen .
Well I just wanted to find out some information about my roots. Both the origin of my surname, which as you said is surely of German origin, and somehow contact these distant relatives. Unfortunately the only piece of information I have is this pilot (or I believe it was a pilot) during WWII. Anyway I have started looking at some records and search on websites, like the Ellis Island one. But till now, no luck in finding some names or informations which could match with what I know of the story.
If you think you could have some interesting information please let me know. Thank you very much.

]I want to say thank you for all of your help with my research. I am proud to announce that since I first joined this site in 2008 I finally finished my research on the 15th Air Force and published my first book From Foggia To Freedom.

Chapters Include detailed information about:

The Fight for Foggia and Operation Avalanche

The history of the B-17 flying fortress, from "Project 299" to the B-17G.

Training to fly heavy bombers, including veteran interviews and first-hand accounts from veterans who flew from airfields accross the U.S. like Chico, California, Hobbs AFB in Hobbs, New Mexico, and Gulfport, Mississippi.

Airfields Around Foggia, including detailed information and interviews with veterans who flew from the airfields at Tortorella, Lucera, Amendola, Celone, and Foggia Main.

Combat Missions, first-hand accounts detailing the duties of a B-17 crew, flying in combat, being shot down, and evading capture.

How the U.S. Army Air Corps, RAF, and AAF supplied the Yugoslav and Polish partisan forces behind German lines.

Interviews with POWs who were located at Stalag Luft III and Stalag Luft IV, and stories about the "Black March" the men of Stalag Luft IV were forced to make during the winter of 1945.

Repatriation, Camp Lucky Strike, and the journey home to the United States.

If anyone is interested in ordering a copy please contact me.

Thanks again,
Brandon Soale

Foggia Cover front.jpg

Book Cover Edit Back.jpg

Last edited:
I was toldthat my Uncle David Weinstein was a gunner in a plan named the Bitter Bitch. His plan was shot down over Italy in 1945 and he did not survive. I am looking for anyone who may have known him

I'm currently trying to figure out as much as possible about the air bases around Foggia, Italy during WWII. I'm in contact with the 2nd, 301st, 463rd, and 99th bomb group websites but I want to know more about the South African AF in 1944 and the German units that operated ther before the allies atacked in 1943. If anyone has any info about the SAAF units or any information about allied or axis planes, men, etc flying from Foggia around august-november 1944 let me know.
the smallest bit helps!
thanks,
Brandon

We've got a vivid personal account of life in the 57th Fighter Group USAAF in Foggia at aircrewremembered.com/GeraldSchwartzArchive which we transcribed from our friend Gerald's original notes. This opus is over 100 chapters in length, and we're up to Chapter 60 right now, with all Gerald's images yet to be added. We should have the job completed within a month. It's a great read from a gifted writer.

i have read some of it..its pretty good. there are several things i had heard of before but a lot of new info and insight.....thanks for taking the time to transcribe and post it.

I was a radio operator in a B-17 crew in the 97th BG based at Amendola duringthe last half of 1944, near Foggia. The 2nd BG and a sqdn. of the RAF's 5 Group was also based at Amendola.
So that makes you about 90 years old? And using a computer?

Hi,
I waas wondering if your dad knew a Nigel Cooney. He was an air gunner for the SAAF 34th sqn. He was shot down whilst on a bombing mission Pardubice Oil Refinery 22 July 1944. I am looking for any information relating to him, especially photos. He was my grandfathers cousin and unfortunately nothing of his was kept (he had no siblings and never married so I suppose there was no one to pass things on to).

Hi

My Dad was an Air Gunner in the Royal Air Force (Volunteer Reserve), in Mar '44 he completed training in the UK and as he put it missed being posted to the 'Killing Fields' of Lincolnshire in the UK (RAF Bomber Command)

Instead he was posted to Lydda in Palestine (now Lod in Israel) to 1675 Heavy Conversion Unit for traing on Liberator BVI's (B-24J's) and then to 34 Squadron SAAF

Then moved with 34 to Foggia Main(?) to link up with 31 Squadron SAAF which formed 2 Wing SAAF as part of RAF 205 Group who in turn, unusually for an RAF unit were part of US Fifteenth Air Force

Operating principally at night 31 34 SAAF were involved in varied ops:

Mining the Danube; Ploesti district; Warsaw Airlift (losses on 31 Sqd reached 75%), supplies to Partisans - Yugolsav Italian - heavy losses on 13 October, 5 from 31 1 from 34; Munich, various Austrian marshalling yards, daylight interdiction of German retreat through Albania also to Greece against ELAS communist guerillas

My dad switched to 31 Sqd following their heavy losses to Warsaw, his last op was to Graz in Mar '45;

If required I could post a 'reading list' covering some of the above

PZULBA - Out of Africa (Retired)

Hi,
I waas wondering if your dad knew a Nigel Cooney. He was an air gunner for the SAAF 34th sqn. He was shot down whilst on a bombing mission Pardubice Oil Refinery 22 July 1944. I am looking for any information relating to him, especially photos. He was my grandfathers cousin and unfortunately nothing of his was kept (he had no siblings and never married so I suppose there was no one to pass things on to).

A reading list would be most welcome, although they tend to focus on the 31st squadron or the 34th only after July 1944.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back