SBD Dauntless (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I didn't know where to put a thread like this so here it is.

The next Group Build in the Modelling Section is on the PTO. I've decided to finish a Dauntless that my father semi started. But I have no clue about the plane, who flew or camo schemes. I think I want to portray a Dauntless that flew from the US carriers at Midway but I don't have any info. I think Lucky is doing Swede's Dauntless and this might help him also. So.....

What Dauntless units were involved at Midway?

What were their markings / camo?

What type/mark of Dauntless was at Midway? SBD-1, -2, -3, -4, -5?

Is there much external difference between a SBD-1 and a SBD-3? Or any of the others?

Thanks!

[edit] Bibliography
Bowers, Peter M. United States Navy Aircraft since 1911. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990. ISBN 0-87021-792-5.
Brazelton, David. The Douglas SBD Dauntless, Aircraft in Profile 196. Leatherhead, Surrey, UK: Profile Publications Ltd., 1967. No ISBN.
Brown, Eric, CBE, DCS, AFC, RN., William Green and Gordon Swanborough. "Douglas Dauntless". Wings of the Navy, Flying Allied Carrier Aircraft of World War Two. London: Jane's Publishing Company, 1980, pp. 52–60. ISBN 0-7106-0002-X.
Buell, Harold L. Dauntless Helldivers: A Dive Bomber Pilot's Epic Story of the Carrier Battles. New York: Crown, 1991. ISBN 0-51757-794-1.
Dann, Richard, S. SBD Dauntless Walk Around, Walk Around Number 33. Carrollton, TX: Squadron/Signal Publications, Inc., 2004. ISBN 0-89747-468-6.
Drendel, Lou. U.S. Navy Carrier Bombers of World War II. Carrollton, TX: Squadron/Signal Publications, Inc., 1987. ISBN 0-89747-195-4.
Gunston, Bill. The Illustrated History of McDonnell Douglas Aircraft: From Cloudster to Boeing. London: Osprey Publishing, 1999. ISBN 1-85532-924-7.
Hernandez, Daniel V. (with Lt. CDR Richard H. Best, USN Ret.): SBD-3 Dauntless and the Battle of Midway. Valencia, Spain: Aeronaval Publishing, 2004. ISBN 84-9329-630-9.
Howard, John Jr. A Marine Dive-Bomber Pilot at Guadalcanal. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 1987. ISBN 0-81730-330-8.
Janowicz, Krzysztof and Andre R. Zbiegniewski. Douglas SBD Dauntless (Bilingual Polish/English). Lublin, Poland: Kagero, 2007.
Jenks, Cliff F.L. with Malcolm Laird and Phil Listemann. Allied Wings No.5: The Dauntless in RNZAF Service. France: RAF-IN-COMBAT - Home, 2008. ISBN 2-9526381-9-5.
Kinzey, Bert. SBD Dauntless in Detail Scale, D&S Vol.48. Carrollton, TX: Squadron/Signal Publications, Inc., 1996. ISBN 1-888974-01-X.
Mondey, David, The Concise Guide to American Aircraft of World War II. London: Chancellor, 1996. ISBN 1-85152-706-0.
Pęczkowski, Robert. Douglas SBD Dauntless. Sandomierz, Poland/Redbourn, UK: Mushroom Model Publications, 2007. ISBN 83-89450-39-5.
Smith, Peter C. Douglas SBD Dauntless. Ramsbury, Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK: The Crowood Press Ltd., 1997. ISBN 1-86126-096-2.
Stern, Robert. SBD Dauntless in Action, Aircraft Number 64. Carrollton, TX: Squadron/Signal Publications, Inc., 1984. ISBN 0-89747-153-9.
Tillman, Barrett. The Dauntless Dive Bomber of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1976 (softcover 2006). ISBN 0-87021-569-8.
Tillman, Barrett. SBD Dauntless Units of World War 2. Botley, Oxford, UK: Osprey Publishing, 1998. ISBN 1-85532-732-5.
Tillman, Barrett and Robert L. Lawson. U.S. Navy Dive and Torpedo Bombers of World War II. St. Paul, MN: Motor Books Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-7603-0959-0.
White, Alexander S. Dauntless Marine: Joseph Sailer, Jr., Dive-Bombing Ace of Guadalcanal. Santa Rosa, CA: Pacifica Press, 1997. ISBN 0-93555-321-5.
Wildenberg, Thomas. Destined for Glory: Dive Bombing, Midway, and the Evolution of Carrier Airpower. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1998. ISBN 1-55750-947-6.
This help?

This might help Njaco. It bears the markings of VB-3, from the USS Yorktown I believe.

acr0311.jpg

Hey! I think I may have found one of interest for you, NJ!

From the Naval Aviation Museum:
SBD-2 Dauntless BuNo 2106

Rolling off the Douglas Aircraft Company assembly line in El Segundo, California, in December 1940, SBD-2 Dauntless (Bureau Number 2106) was delivered to Bombing Squadron (VB) 2 at Naval Air Station (NAS) San Diego, California, on the last day of 1940. For the better part of the following year the aircraft flew with that squadron, logging hours flying from the deck of the aircraft carrier Lexington (CV 2) and participating in large-scale military maneuvers in Louisiana.

During the first week of December 1941, with Lexington earmarked to deliver aircraft of a Marine scout bombing squadron to Midway Atoll, the aircraft was off loaded from the carrier to make room for the additional aircraft and left at Pearl Harbor when "Lady Lex" put to sea. Thus, on the morning of 7 December 1941, it was on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. Put back aboard Lexington when she returned to Pearl, the aircraft embarked in the carrier to the South Pacific. On 10 March 1942, flown by Lieutenant (junior grade) Mark T. Whittier with Aviation Radioman Second Class Forest G. Stanley as his gunner, the aircraft joined 103 other planes from Lexington and Yorktown (CV 5) in a raid against Japanese shipping at Lae and Salamaua in New Guinea. Credited with pressing home his attack against a Japanese ship, Whittier received the Navy Cross.

When Lexington returned to Pearl Harbor following the raid, the museum's SBD-2 was again put ashore and earmarked for transfer to Marine Scout Bombing Squadron (VMSB) 241 on Midway Atoll, arriving there with eighteen other SBD-2s on 26 May 1942, on board the aircraft transport Kitty Hawk (APV 1).

On the morning of 4 June 1942, with 1st Lieutenant Daniel Iverson as pilot and Private First Class Wallace Reid manning the .30-caliber machine gun in the aft cockpit. the museum's aircraft was one of sixteen SBD-2s of VMSB-241 launched to attack Japanese aircraft carriers to the west of Midway. Approaching the enemy carrier Hiryu, the Marine planes came under fire from antiaircraft gunners and fighters of the enemy combat air patrol. Iverson, with two Japanese Zero fighters following him down in his dive, released his bomb at an altitude of 800 feet. During his egress from the target area, the pair of Zeroes on Iverson's tail were joined by two others, which pursued the Dauntless for miles. Enemy fire holed Iverson's plane 219 times, knocking out his hydraulic system and wounding Reid. One bullet came so close that it clipped Iverson's throat microphone chord. Nevertheless, the pilot managed to return to Midway, making a one-wheel landing on the atoll. His was one of only eight SBD-2s of VMSB-241 to return from the attack against the Japanese fleet. For their actions, Iverson received the Navy Cross and Reid was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Returned to the United States, the museum's SBD-2 was repaired and eventually assigned to the Carrier Qualification Training Unit (CQTU) at NAS Glenview, Illinois. On the morning of 11 June 1943, with Marine 2nd Lieutenant Donald A. Douglas, Jr., at the controls, the aircraft ditched in the waters of Lake Michigan during an errant approach to the training carrier Sable (IX 81). Douglas was retrieved from the water by a Coast Guard rescue boat, but his aircraft sank to the bottom of the lake.

Recovered in 1994, the aircraft underwent extensive restoration at the museum before being placed on public display in 2001. Elements of its original paint scheme when delivered to the fleet are still visible on its wings and tail surfaces. A survivor of the Pearl Harbor attack and two combat actions, including the famous Battle of Midway, it is one of the most historic aircraft in existence anywhere in the world.

Notes:
No tactic represented naval aviation's rise to preeminence during World War II more than dive-bombing, and no aircraft embodied the success of this tactic more than the SBD Dauntless. An innovative design, the aircraft incorporated perforated dive-flaps, which stabilized and slowed it during bombing runs that routinely consisted of seventy-plus degree dives. The initial production aircraft entered service in 1940, and by the time the United States entered World War II, ten squadrons operated the SBD. During World War II, Dauntless pilots participated in all five of the war's great carrier battles, achieving their greatest victory at Midway, where they sank four Japanese carriers. Though their mount was slow in speed and lightly armed, SBD pilots and gunners also shot down 138 enemy aircraft. By July 1944, a total of 5,936 examples of the aircraft had rolled off the Douglas assembly line, far more than were ever originally planned and testament to the amazing capabilities of the outstanding aircraft of the Pacific War.

The museum holds fourteen examples of the SBD, including SBD-1 (BuNo 1612), the seventeenth production Dauntless off the assembly line. Four aircraft have documented combat histories. SBD-2 (BuNo 2106) is the only known surviving aircraft from the Battle of Midway, SBD-3 (BuNo 06508) flew from Henderson Field on Guadalcanal, and a pair of SBD-3s (BuNos 06624 and 06626) flew from USS Ranger (CV 4) during Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa. All 14 aircraft were recovered from Lake Michigan.

Specifications:
Manufacturer: Douglas Aircraft Company
Dimensions: Length: 32 ft., 8 in.; Height: 13 ft., 7 in., Wingspan: 41ft., 6 in.
Weight: Empty: 6,345 lb.; Gross: 10,400 lb.
Power Plant: One 1,000 horsepower Wright R-1820-52 engine
Performance: Maximum Speed: 250 M.P.H.; Service Ceiling: 27,100 ft.;
Maximum Range with Bomb Load: 1,345 miles
Armament: Two fixed forward-firing .50-in. guns, one flexible-mounted rear-firing .30-in.
guns, 1,200 lb. of ordnance
Crew: Pilot and gunner

Attachments

• midwaySBD2_BuNo2106.jpg
    midwaySBD2_BuNo2106.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 225
Now that last one looks interesting! SBD-2 from Midway - Now to see if there are any external differences between a SBD-1 and a -2.

All 14 aircraft were recovered from Lake Michigan.

What the 'ell else is at the bottom of Lake Michigan??

It was interesting that the rear gunner sat forward during training dives. If I was him I think I would ask to stay on the ground during his training.

I like the SBD. I think that the USN should have developed this plane further instead of going with the "beast" (Helldiver).

How about something with a little color and different. Profile below with info. Not Midway but still interesting.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 380
Thanks Paul. That is the model I'm working with, a SBD-1 but what I've found so far is that most were replaced by SBD-2s at the time of Midway. So I have to modify - I think addition rear guns was the major change - and find out the markings for the various units. Still researching. Thats why I opened this thread. Hopefully something pops up - like that one Lake Michigan Dauntless. I'm thinking.......

I have photos of the Planes of Fame SBD. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the paint scheme, but they seem to do a pretty good job with accuracy there.

Attachments

• DSC_1971.jpg
    DSC_1971.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_1975.jpg
    DSC_1975.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_2851.jpg
    DSC_2851.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_2888.jpg
    DSC_2888.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 120
Thanks Eric! That is the paint scheme I'm going with. I need to find out with markings. As soon as I decide whether its from Yorktown, Hornet or Enterprise, I can go from there.

Great underside shot! Now I know how to do the weathering!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back