Sea Fury Crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bugger, I saw it flying at the Yeovilton air day on Saturday, most impressive fighter. I even managed to get a look in the cockpit of the static one then land on my arse in front of the que by sliding off the wing too quick> I hope they get it airworthy again PDQ

B*gg*r !
I have literally just sent my brother pics of it at Duxford, at Flying Legends, then logged on here to find this!
OK, it's wrong to speculate, but a loss of power, followed by an 'emergency' landing, possibly suggests that there wasn't enough hydraulic power to get the gear down and locked in time?
The RN Historic Flight's FB II had a landing gear problem some years back, and, rather than risk a possibly 'terminal' belly landing, the pilot was advised to bail out over the sea. The pilot was saved, but the aircraft was lost.
Main thing is in this instance, the pilot is fine, and did a great job getting the aircraft down, and, all being well, it can be repaired, eventually, so that we can see it like this again.

Attachments

• ZZ 192.jpg
    ZZ 192.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 149
Always sad to hear but glad no-one was harmed except maybe the actuaries at the insurance company. Hope the damage is not too great.

Im glad the pilot was okay, but selfishly, I hate to see these grand old ladies falling off their perches like that.

In the photos there is staining on the sides of the fuselage......im wondering if there wasnt some loss of oil pressure that led to engine seizure.

Just about anything is repairable. It's more a question of whether the funds and will exist to return the aircraft to flying condition or whether it will be consigned to static display. It wouldn't be the first to suffer such a fate.
Cheers
Steve

Yeah well, I'd like to see someone try and repair the PV-2 that crashed into Clear Lake in CA a few years back!

she doesnt look all that bad....a lot of major components damaged but not beyond salvaging. i am sure someone will put her together again.

She will be put back together again. I just hope she is put back into flying condition again. The second option, which I'm sure we would all like to see, is a lot more expensive.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back