The Slowest Plane of WW2? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

By "the storch was slower" do you mean top-speed or stall speed? Because the Storch was about 14 mph faster at top-speed. If you get into stall speeds there are several planes that have virtually none as stated above: Swordfish (no torpedo), Fi 167, Fi 156 "Storch"

Hello
I must put forward Blackburn Ripon, used by Finns during WWII
as bomber etc max speed 125mph at SL and 136mph at 6500ft as new and they were not new when WWII started.

Wikipedia lists the Ripon IIC as 111 mph top speed, which is still faster than the Po-2 or storch, thoughcertainly slower than the Stringbag. So maby the slowest torpedo bomber. It might have been the slowest when carrying a torpedo, I doubt it did more than 100 mph fully loaded and if slower than 95 mph, we have a winner!

Though I don't know the stats for Finland's Ripon IIF.

My Ripon specs were from Weal Weal, because it was the nearest book when I typed the message. If I have time tonight I will check the Finnish AF specs.

Juha

FAF Ripon IIF Series III with 610hp Bristol Pegasus II as a float plane had max speed of 137 mph. Other source gives FAF Ripon IIF max speed as 112 mph as a landplane. Probably the latter was Series II plane with 525 hp Armstrong Siddeley Panther IIA. Both types were in use as combat planes during the war.

Hello Kool Kitty
they were Series I a/c, many if not most of those got Pegasus engine around 1934. I'm not sure but maybe a couple still had Jupiter in 1939 and if so they probably were slowest of the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back