Spitfires Found! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I jst don't get any of these stories. It is only flying regulations and nostalgia that make them. The restored Spitfire found at Dunkerque is actually a new build airframe. If someone has enough money they can get a Spitfire but it wont have the cudos of being in the Battle of Britain or other historic action.

That 'cudos of being in the Battle of Britain or other historic action' is only really important to people outside of owners and operators of these aircraft. I've only really heard it said as an interesting note about the aircraft. A spitfire is a spitfire, the actual battles it took part in don't change what it is.

That 'cudos of being in the Battle of Britain or other historic action' is only really important to people outside of owners and operators of these aircraft. I've only really heard it said as an interesting note about the aircraft. A spitfire is a spitfire, the actual battles it took part in don't change what it is.
You don't get endless coverage in the media building a replica but you do if you "restore" a WW2 veteran. The plane rescued from the beach at Dunkerque has been on TV more times than "Reach for the sky" and was in every national paper/web site, including documentaries of how it was done.

Well said gumbyk. The owners and restorers want a flyable, sometimes rather authentic warbird, not a certified veteran, though it IS an added bonus, as you say, should it be one, and can affect the value. The public doesn't care at all, if they're at an airshow, and would rather see one NOT a famous veteran fly than a certified war hero static. Me, too, for that matter.

Most of the public are lucky to guess which country it flew for, much less the correct airframe. We have people all the time ask us if our B-25 is a B-24! And everyone has an uncle , cousin, grandfather, etc. who flew one or flew in one.

That's my attitude to Flugwerk FW190's and the like too. I'd rather see a well-done replica/reproduction flying than an original static, although both have their place.

It's funny though, we don't have this debate around WW1 aircraft...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back