Spitfires Found! (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes,
Part of the price of a Spitfire is the rarity, right?
so, now that they aren't as rare as was once thought, the price must come down, right?

so you may only need 2 million!

Wow! That's a relief! Now it'll only take me 120 years to save up, instead of 150 - great stuff !

I just hope this is not another deal like the Spits that were "buried in Australia", and never materialized. Wonder how many pounds sterling this will cost the British government ?

Charles

I just hope this is not another deal like the Spits that were "buried in Australia", and never materialized. Wonder how many pounds sterling this will cost the British government ?

Charles

I have not heard the story over in Aussie Charles but I do recall from an article a couple years back about a team looking for these crates.So we may be able to surmise that the fruits of thier labor is about to prevail .Now all we have to wonder will all the pieces be there?One would think but war times make for strange decisions at times.

I read that part of the problem now may be that there are restrictions on moving military material in and out of Burma/Myanmar. The only other place I've heard of having that problem with Spitfires is the States!

Don''t know if this news is out yet:

Lost Squadron Of Pickled Spitfires Found (sounds more like Kimchi)

Some one please give John Read a sedative or a couple of beers (preferably Spitfire ) before he reads this: :lol:

Aviation historians and warbird enthusiasts are drooling at the discovery of at least 12 and maybe as many 20 perfectly preserved brand-new Spitfire Mark 14s buried in Myanmar, which was formerly Burma. Thanks to the tenacity (and apparently considerable diplomatic skills) of British farmer David Cundall, the lost squadron of pristine fighters was found where they were buried by U.S. troops in 1945 when it became clear they wouldn't be needed in the final days of the Second World War. At least a dozen of the aircraft, one of the latest variants with their 2,035-horsepower Roll Royce Griffon engines replacing the 1,200-1,500-horsepower Merlins in earlier models, were buried without ever being removed from their original packing crates. It's possible another eight were also buried after the war ended. After spending 15 years and $200,000 of his own money, Cundall was rewarded with visual proof of the magnitude of his discovery. "We sent a borehole down and used a camera to look at the crates," he told the Telegraph. "They seemed to be in good condition."

The aircraft were declared surplus when they arrived in Burma because the Japanese were in retreat by then and carrier-based Seafires were getting all the action. They were ordered buried in their original crates, waxed, swaddled in grease paper and their joints tarred against the elements. Cundall found some of the soldiers who buried the planes by placing ads in magazines and was able to narrow down the search before using ground-penetrating radar to confirm the burial site. The next obstacles to recovery are political. Myanmar's former military junta was under a variety of sanctions, among them an international convention that prevented the transfer of military goods to and from the country. Recent political reforms have led to the lifting of that ban effective April 23. Cundall will also need the permission of the new Myanmar government to unearth the treasure. He helped his own cause by making numerous trips to the country and earning the trust of government officials. British Prime Minister David Cameron is expected to seal the deal with Myanmar President Thein Sein during a visit.

AVweb Insider Blog: A Dozen Spitfires in Factory Crates? A Dream Find

The weekend's news brought a report that a British farmer named David Cundall has discovered a squadron of Mark XIV Supermarine Spitfires buried in their factory crates as surplus at the end of World War II. If the story has legs, it will be the historical aircraft find of the century. On the AVweb Insider blog, Paul Bertorelli asks the question on everyone's mind: "Whattya figure those things will be worth?"

Nevermind... Torch posted this yesterday:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/off-topic-misc/spitfires-found-32460.html

It may be too late for Readie unless someone took appropriate precautions. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back